VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I did the cables as part of a rear brake overhaul, I did the discs and pads first and the cables afterwards. Basically there's 2 metal U clips that retain the cable, one clip is at the rear end of the cable underneath the caliper and the second is on a bracket at the front of the trailing arm. The clips just come off if you lever them with a small flat blade screwdriver.

Next you need to remove the ball end of the cable from the caliper. Use a big flat bladed screwdriver and lever the cable arm downwards against the arm stop, while you're doing this you need to un-hood the ball end of the cable from the arm. I use a pair of side cutters to grip the inner cable right by where the ball end is crimped on and pulled the inner cable upwards to un-hook the ball from the lever.

It is possible to use a 13mm spanner on the bolt that retains the arm onto the caliper but this will only work on the drivers side as it will tend to tighten the nut - if you try this on the passenger side it'll just undo the bolt.

Once you've got the cable off the caliper, the front inner cable is removed from the rod that comes from the front of the van. The end of the cable is formed into a Z shape, just bend the inner cable to remove it from the rod.

With both ends of the cable unfastened the rear end of the outer cable just pulls out at the caliper end and the front of the cable pulls out of the bracket on the floor (no clips this end).

Re-fit the cable by fitting the outer cable at the caliper end first, then fit the clip at this end and the second clip on the trailing arm bracket. Next fit the front end of the cable in the floor bracket and fit the Z end of the cable to the handbrake rod. Finally re-attach the ball end of the cable to the caliper.

Repeat for the other side.

Should take around an hour max to do both sides if nothing is seized (my van has done 200k and no problems swapping cables). This is for rear discs - drum brakes will be different.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Re: How to guide - handbrake cable replacement.

could you add pics of the two clips please?

Replaced my cables today and the old ones have no clips whatsoever on them! obviously fell off/been chucked away/rusted away over the years.

Pics would help me to obtain the parts i need, or part numbers if anybody has etka

1 - 4 of 4 Posts