VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
Firstly I'll say that I can't take credit for this as I read it somewhere else but can't find the link anymore so I took my own piccies to share with you.
Also, don't do it if you think your van will go up in flames - mines fine but I'm not responsible if yours does as these components get hot really quick so be careful.
Pic 1 - The offending Article

Pic 2 - Replacement fuse from Maplins - less than a quid. I plunged in and ordered a 184C one but the one that came out was 216C (Maplins do a 216 as well) part numbers for the thermal fuses is RA19. The 184C has lasted fine so far. Simply nip off the old one making a note of the pointy end direction and file off any bits left on the legs.

Pic 3 - Next, get the insert from a small block connector and carefully cut in half.

Pic 4 - The two halves of the connector block should now fit nicely here:-

Pic 5 - All the bits ready to go together with the resistor legs bent and trimmed.

Pic 6 - Finished article. Soldering the fuse could be attempted but you'd have to use a high temp solder (silver) which could fry the thermal resistor during the process or you could dripping a blob of solder into the connector block for a better connection.

Save a fair few £££££s and can easily swap the thermal resistor at a later date if it all goes wrong again.
Cheers
Paul.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
It may be the case, I think, that if your fan doesn't work it might not be the resistor pack. If it goes the fan only works full blast with no intermediate speeds. But then, what do I know?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chudsy,

I think you deserve some credit for taking time to describe this fix and to post the photos, my local delaer wanted to charge me £70 for a new resistor plack.

Thanks, much apperciated. T:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the comments - the original 184 rated fuse is still going strong.
@Lee - I would imagine it'll be the same if you can just locate the pack for the rear blower.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
it's behind the upper and lower panel joins, at the front of the down tube - ie nearest to where the rear seat back upper offside corner is

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
rear one ( as #7 above ) is part of the ducting casing. I understand that the front one is behind the glove box, and guess it will be part of the ducting casing again.

·
Registered
656 Posts
just wanted to say thanks to the OP for taking the time to make this thread, i got a 228c resistor from maplins and performed the above fix, i now have full heater controls , the wife is well happy and if shes happy im happy. cheers
Andy

·
Registered
58 Posts
BRILIANT!!!! been putting up with no fan or noisy fan since May.... sorted in 10 minutes! although lots of posts about it,
a) Finding it
b) Pictures to confirm what your doing

are simple but important points!

Cheers for this!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Several folks asked where it is but no-one actually said....

T4 - Do you have to drop the glove box or is it behind the lower centre console?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts