VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steps 1 – 6 are similar to the steps in my How To for the top ball joints.

1. Chock the wheels, pop a jack under the jacking point, remove the wheel bolts (19mm socket), slip an axle stand under the lower wishbone and then release the jack to settle the weight onto the axle stand.

2. Bit of WD40 on the 21mm nut that holds on the shock absorber lower end, socket on one end and spanner on the other end, then knock out the bolt. Removing the shock attachment at this stage makes it easier to sort step 3.

3. Prep time. The upper wishbone needs to be wedged against the subframe in the marked area. Don’t mistakenly try to wedge it against the lower wishbone as this doesn’t work… Wedging lets the lower wishbone drop, whilst the top one stays still, lifting the upper ball joint out of its housing. Problem is, to do this, you need a thin bit of something strong.

4. Step up an old bolster chisel and an angle grinder. I ground the top edge flat and took a wedge out of the lower edge where it sits against the subframe.

5. I’ve read of others jacking the hub with the van staying stationery on axle stands but I did it the other way. It just seemed easier. To get the chisel in place you need to drop the body (or raise the hub if jacking that) and position the chisel. Raise the body slowly until it nips the chisel securely between the subframe and upper wishbone and hold it there.

6. Slotted in place nicely

7. With that done, next step is to undo the 24mm nut attaching the bottom joint to the lower control arm. (Pic is taken from underneath.)

8. Remove the two bolts that hold the lower ball joint to the hub. On my 1993 they're 16mm normal plain hex headed bolts but in tiggerjpt's how to replace the outer CV joint (http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=176893) they are 14mm XZN. They changed from 1997 on according to the Bentley manual.

9. Never heard of XZN? Nor had I – I thought they were just Torx but they have more splines. XZN on the left, Torx on the right in the pic below.

10. Next step is to push the joint out of the control arm. Step forward the Screwfix puller (No. 48634, 2 or 3 leg reversible gear puller) for £17.99.

11. Use with 3 legs. It’s a bit tight to put in the leg next to the brake disc splash shield (RHS of the picture) but with the ball joint bolts removed it should all shift ok. The only problem was that the central spigot of the puller rather neatly fits inside the hex head on the bottom of the ball joint you’re removing (circled). Add a bit of grease to the end to assist it to turn and it’ll push it out in the end.

12. I had to haul down the lower control arm to get out the old joint. New VW part is 701407361B costing £32.66 + VAT in July 2012.

13. I used a bar (red in the pic) to lever down the lower control arm in order to fit the new joint. Note that the lug on the joint (circled) goes towards the middle of the vehicle.

14. New bolts are required for refitting: VW part is 2 X N10170513 @ £0.78 + VAT each. If you're doing a post 1997 vehicle the XZN bolts also need replaced.

Tighten hex bolts to 55Nm + 90 deg extra turn. Later XZN bolts are tightened to 90Nm + 90 deg extra.

15. Tighten nut to 110Nm – apparently no need to replace. On post 1997 vans the nut should be replaced, and tightened to 60Nm + 90 deg extra. Not quite sure post 1997 nut has to be replaced and pre 97 not...

16. Wheel back on – tighten bolts to 160Nm or 118 ft/lb - and you’re done.

If it all seems like too much faff then my local VW Van Centre (Edinburgh) replaced one for £42 + VAT labour.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Go on mods, make my day and make this sticky... Or I'll have to moderate my language at having faffed around so long and seeing it disappear into page 1220 of 18000.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still no sticky? It'd be a lovely pair to go with the upper ball joint How To...

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump. Does it really now have to be 10 words I write?

·
Registered
656 Posts
A:

a great help, i done mine today although i didnt see this thread until i faffed on one side and drive shaft popped out, losing the oil.
Anyone have an idea of what gearbox oil to put in and how much ?
cheers
Andy

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Great posting, weldone T: This is a very useful posting and should definitely be made a sticky! This is a common job that needs to be done by most of us at some time so why make us search for the solution to our problem amongst all the other postings!

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ta for that - I've always been bemused as to why my upper ball joint How To became a sticky and the lower one didnt :* Go on Mods, make my day...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi matey, awesome post as well as the upper joint how too as well. Need to do both on my van and just wondered if you think the screwfix puller you used on the lower joints would also work on the upper joint too ?

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't think so. The proper tool makes it pretty simple - think there's a list on here somewhere of people hiring them out.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Time for this to rise to the top again for those wanting to get their hands dirty...

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Go on mods, make my day and make this sticky... Or I'll have to moderate my language at having faffed around so long and seeing it disappear into page 1220 of 18000.
Good work fella, done better than a sticky for you though, i have moved it to the technical articles section for bigger pictures and so its not bogged down T:T:T:

Its worth noting that a fork splitter and a very large hammer works well as an alternative to the puller. For anyone reading this; use genuine or Mahele (probably wrong spelling) dont bother with any other brands or you will be doing the same job in 3 months time T:T:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi - I am doing this just now and just to add at point 8 (removal of the two securing bolts) on my 2001 2.5Tdi T4 they are 10mm Hex, not spline or standard bolts.... I spent ages running around the parts shops trying to get hold of a 14mm XZN only to end up not needing it. Rule of thumb: check what you have on your vehicle FIRST before you start buying tools for it :) Thank you to the original poster for the very-in depth article, it is proving most useful.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Did mine today, was so tight in the wishbone had to cut the ball joint part off and drill it to try and relieve some of the pressure! Didnt work though still had to use a puller and the remaining part eventually came out ( so fast it travelled across the workshop about 20 metres hit the side of one of the fluorescent tube holders and put a substantial dent in it! )

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I am about to buy another van and I am pretty sure it needs this doing so read the thread again. My only question is - whatis the chisel used for? I know it is jammed in but why and what effect would it have if you did not use the chisel? I don't have one so need to check that I really need it before going out to buy one.

Thanks again for a great posting.T:

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah, a very good question re the chisel.

I tried without it at the start - unsuccessfully. According to the Bentley manual, there's a VW tool which is essentially a piece of steel that you wedge in.

It's needed to get enough distance between the upper and lower wishbone in order to get the joint out. It may be possible to muck around levering them apart without the chisel but I grew bored of trying and attacked the chisel as in the photos.

I'd cut up the chisel - £5 - £10 well spent if you've got an angle grinder handy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had serious problems trying to get my old ball joint removed. I tried with the same tool as the OP, heat, hammering, etc and nothing helped. With the weekend nearing an end, it was a quick decision; leaving the car jacked up rest of the week -vs- running to the local tool shop and forking out the extra expense. To the shop it was!

They had two versions and recommended the heavy duty one for a T4 - as someone else wrote here, think: "big vehicle, big tools."
So I got one of these:

It worked like magic!

Now I am eagerly waiting for the opposite ball joint to fail! I: H:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Where was the big tool from??? Or where sells adequate kit?

I've spent 2 evenings hitting the thing, including blowtorch & near enough lifting the van off it... Won't budge

Mates tools are all too small! Help!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts