VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
as heading says this is a how to create a short shift on your van,no parts neccesary

tools required
13mm spanner
10mm spanner
drill & drill bit

heres what the gear linkage on both an 88hp and 102 hp will look like,this pic is taken from rear of van looking forward,the rod on the right comes from the base of your gearstick,the rod you can see on the left comes from the gearbox

this is just another pic to give you a better idea with an overall view

use 13mm and 10mm spanners to unbolt the bolt that holds on the rod from gearstick forwards to the swivel bracket and remove the rod,the rod is z shaped on the end so just push it dwn the way then pull it out the rubber bush on the swivel bracket

unbolt the 13mm nut holding the swivel bracket on

once its unbolted tilt it forward to remove it from the rod coming from the gearbox

once removed it will look like this,pop out the rubber bush and keep it safe as you will need to re-use it again

drill a new hole the same size,35mm from the centre of the hole on the right

re fit the rubber bush

re fit the swivel bracket

re fit the smaller rod

and the finished item should look like this with the smaller rod now 35mm closer to the centre

all in it took me around 30 mins and that included taking pics and looking for a drill,it feels weird to start with but you will be impressed with how much it reduces the movement on the gearstick which helps my short arms :D,on the plus side if you didnt like it you can put it back the way it was again with no hassle

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Re: short shift - how to with pics-takes 30 mins,simples

Good post :) Nice and easy to follow and I don't even have a van yet!!

How much reduction in movement has this made?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

Excellent post buddy good honest "Free" advice to fellow dubbersT:,,isn't that what forums are about;),,talking of short shift/gear lever Ive just modded mine today in the sense of bringing it towards me a tad heated it up with plumbing gas bottle big ring spanner & length of steam pipe & bent it back abit works well & it was free:cool:,,no odd looking gear extensions,,,great post mate:)

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Good post :) Nice and easy to follow and I don't even have a van yet!!

How much reduction in movement has this made?
massive reduction,feels a bit weird at first as you dont even think its went in to gear it moves that little

·
Registered
276 Posts

this looks cool and i think even i could do it.
One questions, is it going to stop me punching my girlfriend in the leg when i go for second gear?! the stick is so close the the corner of the seat.

It's either this and/or one of thse bent lever adapters

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

this looks cool and i think even i could do it.
One questions, is it going to stop me punching my girlfriend in the leg when i go for second gear?! the stick is so close the the corner of the seat.

It's either this and/or one of thse bent lever adapters
i have an extension on mine as i was struggling to reach it before,i have a single passengers seat so dont have the hitting the seat problem,it will certainly help but then you cant have an excuse for touching her everytime you change gear :D,and very easy to do you dont need to be mechanically minded

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

Looks like i have a job to do on wednesday when i go back to work LOL:
Top mod and its free T:

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Nice thread mate, anyone know if this is doable on the 2.4?
I could go outside and have a look, but its raining outside. :GL
Thanks. :D
im not registered but can someone not have a look on vagcat.com and see if the parts are the same T:

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts

yeah yeah yeah
That's all well and good but I can buy the part from Rakio for less than a ton .....

Gonna tell the mods on you Rasp:

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

Think you'll find the Movement from:

1st to 2nd, Etc etc

100mm approx T:

Been running with it for a week & It's GREAT :D :D :D

TOP How to By the Way A: A: A:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

Bravo that man. A:

A beer for you if/when we meet.

I'm going to have to leave this mod for later ron in my build as I'm trying to Rake in the funds for an up rated clutch at the moment. Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

Well done again. A free mods section sounds like a top idea.

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts

Good work T4virgin A:A:A:A:A:

Thats a job anyone could do on the kerbside next to the road,most excellent fellaT:

1 - 20 of 351 Posts