VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello T4 owners,

I just got a van and the seller mentioned that one of the gear link rubber bushing needs replacing as the gear change feels slightly loose. Being new to driving a van, I couldn't really tell if the gear link was loose or not whilst driving home from his place. Putting into reverse is a bit tricky, but also, I'm not used to a very long gear stick and driving a van.

He kindly supplied the brand new genuine bushing to replace: Support bearing ring - 701711259B

And a little bit of searching on-line tells me where exactly it needs to go and what it maybe for.

ETKA indicates that the bushing is #55 (black square rubber bushing), with #24 (orange plastic) already inside it.:

The second picture is from the web (not from my van); it looks like the bushing is secured by a metallic bracket. But I'm not sure how it comes out and how to insert the new bushing.

Any advice on how to go about replacing this support bearing ring would be very helpful.

Many thanks and happy motoring!

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,128 Posts
I think there are a few threads on this....and whilst doing it, do the "short shift" mod too.

ALL the bushes/balls will need changing.....very common. (I know this from threads, even though mine is auto!)

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
it depends on your van.

mine only used part 24 that was held in place by part 25 which just clicks in place.

so get under your van and have a look.

PS I don't think it will change much as it tends to be the balls onto of the box that wear and fail. 41-42-45 (44 in the bracket).

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fantastic replies, thanks very much.

I expected to be some variations on the set up; I'll have a look underneath when I can; the van is going to a VW indy garage tomorrow and I thought I wanted to investigate before I mention it to the garage so at least I can understand what they might say.

I also read about "short shift" mod. I don't have power tools (yet) and I'm not too fussed about the big throw. Maybe I will after few months of driving it. But at the moment there are other priorities, unfortunately.

Thanks very much both and I'll have a look underneath.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,128 Posts
30 min mod to reduce the long throw!
3 mins if you already have it in bits to change the "balls".

You don't even need any power tools, my grand-fathers Stanley hand drill would have done it (with the right size drill bits.)

If you're taking it to a garage to do the work, just print out the simple instructions for the mod.
Even a garage can't charge more than a tenner to do it, and well worth it.

If you look on ebay, the parts you require are sold as a "kit", for very little money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f....TRS0&_nkw=VW+T4+gear+linkage+repair&_sacat=0

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm revisiting this.

I was too shy to ask the garage to have a look this time (I've asked plenty of job to do already like cam belt, slow starter motor, full service, etc.)!

I got the van back this evening, drove back, and I was about to parallel park on a main road... But I couldn't select reverse gear! Reverse gear did engage eventually but it's temperamental. All the other gears are perfectly fine. Just the reverse.

I'm not too sure if the gear stick need to be "pushed down" to engage reverse or if it's just me not used to van gears tick or whether I should renew all the bushings...

Some more tasks for the weekend!

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I'm revisiting this.

I was too shy to ask the garage to have a look this time (I've asked plenty of job to do already like cam belt, slow starter motor, full service, etc.)!

I got the van back this evening, drove back, and I was about to parallel park on a main road... But I couldn't select reverse gear! Reverse gear did engage eventually but it's temperamental.

I'm not too sure if the gear stick need to be "pushed down" to engage reverse or if it's just me not used to van gears tick or whether I should renew all the bushings...

Some more tasks for the weekend!
If you do gear linkage bushes change them ALL. There are then some threads on here to get the adjustment right, assuming your garage does not have the factory tool T:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the hang of getting the gear into reverse; I need to "push down" the stick at neutral prior to putting into reverse. So that's good for now.

I have some time to have a look at under the van this weekend so I'll see what the condition of the bushings are on the linkage. Then I'll know exactly which bushing to get on eBay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts