VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternator was very noisy and the luck-up pulley was slipping at high revs - I had sourced an alternator and I realised very quickly its a really ty job so I had been putting off for ages.

I spent a lot of time looking for details but there isn't a whole lot about so I gave it a crack and the job took me 4 hours, I initially tried doing it with the front in place but quickly realised its just making things 100 times more complicated so I removed the bumper/headlights and released the front panel which can then be lifted and moved right forward to give plenty of clearance.

Anyway the new alternator ironically failed the moment I started the van (ironically the pulley) so I had my old (and original Bosch) Alternator fully rebuilt locally for £100.

When I did the job the second time I bit the bullet and removed the front first as such it took me just 2.5 hours and I took some photos to help people.

Access from underneath is essential:

There is barely ANY clearance between the alternator and rad pack so removing the bumper and unbolting the front panel will save you a headache and stripped knuckles:

This is looking down the front of the engine WITH the front panel moved forward as you can see its still tight:

You must remove the entire front engine mount, there are 5 16mm bolts underneath that will remove the bottom part and then you need to remove the front engine mount bush (18mm long bolt and 2 small 13mm short bolts) which will give you access to the two long 15mm bolts behind it to release the top half (please note one of the bolts is very hard to see and it goes through the alternator carrier):

Now you can see the alternator, there are 3 Allen bolts holding the bracket to the block, they are pretty hard to see (Theres another photo in this album of the bracket) you'll be able to release the output feed (13mm nut) and the two pin connector while you're there.. Once this is done there is just enough space to pull the alternator away from the gate drive, rotate it forward and then draw it out along the rad pack to the gear box side, its bloody tight!

P.S. I recommend releasing the three 13mm bolts on the AC compressor and moving it slightly over while you're here:

This photo shows the location of the Allen bolts on the alternator bracket - these are REALLY hard to see but this will help you locate them blind:

I hope this helps people!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice work and good “How to”. This will help DIYs a lot (!).
There are four «service position rods” (can’t see them in your pictures) that will make it easier to put the car I a stable service position (front end pushed forward approximately 20-30cm).
Sometimes you have to dig out (!) some of the bolts to the alternator (hidden under dirt/muck)...

https://youtu.be/4dCFUoVuHHQ

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the rods and the advantage of the rods is you don't need to remove the bumper etc :) but found it easier to just lift the front panel plus having no bumper/headlights helps with visbility.. The advantage of

1 - 3 of 3 Posts