VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 T5 camper is a standard 1.9tdi t28 with the basic dashboard (no mfd, revs, speed, coolant temp and fuel gauge). After a year I am really missing some of the features on my car - fuel consumption, ave speed, distance/time travelled etc.

Are the sensors for this already on the van so that I just need a dashboard upgrade or do they need fitting as well? Is it possible to get the information from a bluetooth dongle on the ECU?

I don't want to spend a fortune on this so looking for a low price option if possible (leaves more money for an audio/radio upgrade!). Are there any particular companies out there who you would recommend (I live in Shropshire and use the van every day so can't leave it for several days at a firm halfway across the country).

·
Registered
410 Posts
It sounds like you want the upgrade to the highline dash, like this: http://hazzydayz.com/red-highline-d...em---vw-transporter-t5-supply--fit-4569-p.asp

May as well get cruise as well while your at it. Ends up being very expensive very quickly. You could try it yourself, but you will need vcds, vag tacho and the part number for the dash upgrade. If tps/vw don't like a different instrument cluster in exchange you won't get the refund option back.

I've tried a Bluetooth dongle in the obd port, but I don't think my port has obd2.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, it is a bit pricey and the idea of adding cruise control as well appeals. Now searching for local(-ish) people who could do the upgrade.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,769 Posts
Last time I looked at pricing on this sort of thing Hazzydays were by far the most expensive way to get it done. Vagnostics were much cheaper, and they now have a number of agents around the country, so worth asking how much it would cost with them.

And yes, a Bluetooth dongle + Torque or a similar app is a much cheaper way to get exactly the same info - especially if you run it on your phone or already have a cheap Android tablet available.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I bit the bullet and got Hazzydays to do it and took the opportunity to have cruise added also. Matt at Vagnostics is more than capable of doing this but your real issue is sourcing the instrument cluster they are very rare! so the chance of finding a second hand unit is slim at best. Hazzydays told me that they could not get the refund back on the old cluster as it differs from the new one. This explains, to some extent, the very high cost of this swap....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts