VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
i am looking at buying a 1992 Caravelle Syncro. i live at the end of a 1 mile mud road with a 40 degree incline! my front wheel drive car is having trouble. i have a 2004 suzuki samurai diesel, but it is only a 2 seater and my family is growing into 4 this year!

at the moment the rear brake pads are removed, so i cannot test drive it.

i see above the gear shifter that there is a picture of the 4 wheels with 3 green lights, and a pull switch next to the photo.

what does this do? how does it work?

i need to verify that the syncro system works before i buy it for 1000 euros, the motor seems ok.

the van was bought new in austria and is now for sale in the Azores, Portugal.

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question, please redirect me if that is the case.

thank you.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You would most certainly get a faster and more accurate reply if you posted in the Syncro section (right at the bottom of the forum list). The switch next to the 4-wheel drive pictogram actuates the rear axle diff lock (if its working). The actuation is by vacuum and the position of the actuator and the type of roads that syncros get driven on usually mens that there's a fair chance that its all crudded up. Try posting in the Syncro section and you will probably get loads of advice about what to look out for an a 21 year old syncro!

//Nisk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, great!

thanks for the heads up about the special syncro section!! i will be living there for the next few weeks and maybe years if i buy this old girl.

i had a 1972 microbus that i drove from canada to belize and california to florida on several occasions and i always wanted to get another vw bus!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts