VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just back from a road trip in the bus down to Gibraltar and back.

I have a waeco CR50 installed under a smez hob in a kitchen unit behind the driver's seat.

The fridge worked a treat and supplied cold beer all the way round the trip.

But it did get hot in Spain.

I understand it is fighting the ambient heat (we had up to 43 degrees recorded in the middle of the day by those signs that show the time and the temperature on the side of the road!) and has to work harder and therefore kicks out more heat. There is plenty of space around the fridge within the kitchen unit in which it is situated i.e. it's not flush fitted and I drilled plenty of vent holes in the side of the unit. There are no vents in the side of the van, but then I bought a compressor fridge to save having to do this in the first place.

I know the CR40 has a seperate compressor that can be mounted elsewhere, but what are other cr50 users doing to ventilate their fridge?

It did become uncomfortably yhot in the van at night at times.....

Any ideas welcome (except the old "drill holes in the side of the van" answers!)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a couple of holes in the floor of the van where some racking was bolted in by the previous owner. Conveniently these are just below where the fridge will go so I'll probably enlarge them and then vent the kitchen unit above. Then I should hopefully get enough air flow to help the fridge work efficiently.

No holes in the side of the van but out of sight ones underneath instead! T:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Exactly - cooler air drawn in through vents in floor as warmer air exits through vents in kitchen unit and out of rooflight.

Granted this will work best when the air temp is cooler outside. I:

However, should still help general airflow around the fridge.....

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
run a duct (plastic drain pipe or similar) from one on the holes in the floor to high level in the cupboard, this will give rise to a constant shift of air due to the h. put some insect netting on them tooT:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Westfalia use a very quiet computer style fan to move the air. There is an intake hole and exhaust hole in the chassis and both have sponge like filters in them to keep out unwanted insects and dust. This techniques allows the compressor and cooling fan to be boxed into a soundproof chamber without overheating.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Westfalia use a very quiet computer style fan to move the air. There is an intake hole and exhaust hole in the chassis and both have sponge like filters in them to keep out unwanted insects and dust. This techniques allows the compressor and cooling fan to be boxed into a soundproof chamber without overheating.
That was pretty much going to be my suggestion. Most computer fans are 12v and you can buy grilles to fit over them including ones with filters too. Your best bet might well be two fans fitted at opposing ends, one drawing in air as a supply fan, the other extracting air out.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
doing it with a piece of pipe is nearly as effective... uses the natural buoyancy of the air because of the temperature. and a lot less faffing about:)

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I've done mine with a computer fan on the side of the unit so it vents out behind the drivers seat. I raised the fridge slightly and put a plinth in front of it so there's plenty of space for cool air to be drawn in at the base. I've only had a couple of UK camping trips with it this year, so not much chance of it overheating !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts