VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do the new range of 2.0 engines have this high pressure fuel pump that seems to be a ticking time bomb?

a friend has a 2010 passat tdi 140 that has just failed and its gonna cost thousands to repair as apparently debris goes into the whole fuel system and only way to remedy it to replace EVERYTHING .

i did a gooogle search an d apparently there is a big problem with these engines and any petrol or water in the fuel system will cause the hpfp to come to an early end.
:(

·
Special Rapporteur
10,525 Posts
Got any links? I thought that every common rail diesel engine (i.e. almost all diesel engines currently made) had a high pressure fuel pump.

I doubt any of them benefit from encountering petrol or water in the fuel, but I suppose some pumps are more robust than others.

If you bear in mind that VW have probably sold several hundred thousand T5s based on the 2.0 TDi engine, when you google for any particular problem you'll probably find a few. Does that mean that there is a ~big~ problem? I don't recall seeing a whole load of fuel pump failure reports on this forum...

·
Special Rapporteur
10,525 Posts
The Bosch fuel pump in my old Mk5 diesel Transit was known to fail rapidly if you ran it with water in the fuel. Are we starting a list?

·
Registered
883 Posts
All common rail vw, Audi,seat and Skoda have a high pressure fuel pump. Only ever replaced one, and that was because a customer filled it with petrol and then drove it for 25 miles or so. Diesel lubricates, thus it then destroyed the pump. All pug hdi's had issues years ago with these, but they are French. If the fuel filter is dirty, this can also cause issues. Failure is very uncommon though.

·
Registered
426 Posts
These high pressure pumps do not like to be messed around.

Keep your diesel filter changed often, only use diesel ( not chip fat etc) and don't run it on petrol & don't run it dry.

If you run out of diesel, don't keep churning the engine over on the starter.
Turn the ignition on and let the lift pump do it's work.
You can often hear the air in the fuel as it rushes through the filter, driven by the lift pump.
The lift pump will only stay on for 30 secs if the engine is not running, so you need to cycle the ignition a few times until the new fuel is pulled through...

Better still - don't run out of diesel....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts