VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The LAW on aftermarket HID lights has not changed. They are still illegal without self levelers, washers and lenses which are specifically designed for them. The only thing that has changed is the fact you can now fail your MOT because of their presence.
I presume the reason for the change was because it was a bit hypocritical to have illegal headlight upgrades which would not result in a fail for the MOT.

I dont think the new MOT rules mentioned the specific light lenses, just that the beam pattern has to be correct. Therefore if you were to fit washers (possible) and levelers (not sure if this is possible without some serious fabrication) you may still pass the MOT if your beam pattern checks out. This does not make them legal though, you could still potentially get stopped and fined by a clued up policeman.

I was stopped and fined for HID's when my local police station decided to hold a 'lighting offense' crackdown evening. I was actually pulled for using fog lights when there was no fog, but got pulled up for the HID's too. They were being pretty fair though, they were even fining cyclists for riding at night without lights.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The beam on mine is fine buddy, had it setup when I fitted them and had it re-checked a few weeks ago, several months since fitting, had them adjusted so they are lower than the highest reading on the lense gadget they use to make sure they don't dazzle, mine are damn bright too ? 4300 ones....

The link I posted up was vague though, doesn't mention OEM etc.....

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
theres a few threads on atm with a similar topic in them.

My van went for test on the 5th and if its a HID kit that upspex is offering then mine past with it fitted!

It has no levelling things or cleaning mabobs.

The test station was clued up on it as they spent the time to go through the extra things on the test with me as we did a walk around on the van.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
The beam on mine is fine buddy, had it setup when I fitted them and had it re-checked a few weeks ago, several months since fitting, had them adjusted so they are lower than the highest reading on the lense gadget they use to make sure they don't dazzle, mine are damn bright too �� 4300 ones....

The link I posted up was vague though, doesn't mention OEM etc.....
Hell yeah they're bright!!!!!
Got an eyefull of them on the end of Brecon Road a while back..........

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The link dosent work. But i found the relevant page.
There seems to be a conflict of wording coming from VOSA, have a read of all of the MOT documents and amendments on the following link
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publications/manualsandguides/vehicletestingmanualsandguides.htm#P48_1278

The course notes which are intended to be an introduction to the new rules for testers just mention a change regarding HID's and self leveling and washing, and the amended MOT document states that "washers and levelers MAY be fitted, and they must be working". I can see why you are confused it is vague.
Everything i said regarding legality still applies though. I belive the legal side of these headlights stems from the european approval system, but dont quote me on that.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My van went for test on the 5th and if its a HID kit that upspex is offering then mine past with it fitted!
HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights are different to the standard bulbs you will find in your van. They use a very high voltage to superheat a gas contained in the bulb to the point of plasma, where it will them spontaneously discharge photons in the visible light spectrum. It is the same technology used in street lighting, otherwise known as sodium arc lighting.
To get HID lights on your van, you not only need the correct bulbs, but you also need to install a step up transformer to achieve the high voltages necessary for the arc to form.

The HEADLIGHT UPGRADE LOOM which is available from several suppliers on this site including Upspex is not a HID kit. It simply replaces the factory fitted headlight loom. which suffers from serious voltage loss due to its design, with a direct loom between the battery and the headlight bulbs, thus providing the bulbs with the maximum voltage available. Most suppliers also include high performance (nightbrakers) bulbs in the kit. These are still tungsten filament bulbs, they just perform better than standard bulbs. There are no legal issues with this type of lighting upgrade, as you are still using [EU] approved bulbs in [EU] approved light units which were designed to create the correct beam pattern when these correct bulbs are being used.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,271 Posts
Any mot testers on here know if this link is current as regards to the new hid rules.
If it is it's vague
This says it "may be fitted" with a washer and self levelling system ???http://http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_170.htm
This was a "Dummies Guide" for the testers....easy way for them to know IF the lights were HID or not....it was NOT a statement about what MUST be fitted.

IF you have HIDs, you MUST have washers (high pressure too) and a self-levelling system fitted.

You can set them up OK, but put a load in the back of the van, and you're a danger on the road to other users....
You need a gyroscope type system to measure the angle of the vehicle, and then feedback to the lamp adjuster motors to alter them to specific angles.

BTW, just noticed the title is HUD.....do you really want a Head Up Display for driving a van?

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts
theres a few threads on atm with a similar topic in them.

It has no levelling things or cleaning mabobs.

The test station was clued up on it as they spent the time to go through the extra things on the test with me as we did a walk around on the van.
You sure Upspex is offering a HID kit?

His loom upgrade is nothing to do with HID just more voltage and better bulbs.

HID kits are illegal and quite rightly so unless fitted with levellers as Gaz has described (they'll also need the correct lenses for this not reflectors like our vans have) T: So the rest of us road users are not blinded every few miles and then have to pull over to allow the white glow to clear from being burnt into our retinas LOL: (not that I feel at all strongly about this LOL:).

Jump into an audi estate with them and you'll see what is meant if you turn the lights on and then dump your kit in the boot the lights adjust in angle. If you have a van and dump kit in the back without levers then you blind everyone. It dangerous and hope the powers that be clamp down on people using them.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
You sure Upspex is offering a HID kit?

His loom upgrade is nothing to do with HID just more voltage and better bulbs.

HID kits are illegal and quite rightly so unless fitted with levellers as Gaz has described (they'll also need the correct lenses for this not reflectors like our vans have) T: So the rest of us road users are not blinded every few miles and then have to pull over to allow the white glow to clear from being burnt into our retinas LOL: (not that I feel at all strongly about this LOL:).

Jump into an audi estate with them and you'll see what is meant if you turn the lights on and then dump your kit in the boot the lights adjust in angle. If you have a van and dump kit in the back without levers then you blind everyone. It dangerous and hope the powers that be clamp down on people using them.
My Knob of a brother has a 'P' plate A4 with these in and they are sooo blinding. He thinks it's great to be able to see like it's daytime.

As I said KNOB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts