VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wonerding if anyone has used HVO?

I understand that Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil is a step up from the original biofuel and touted as extremely similar to regular diesel. Seems to be currently targeted to hgv and fleet operators.

Can't buy it from the pump at petrol stations but can order it in 205 litre barrels or 1,000 litre cubes.

Cheers

Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks interesting, cant find anything to say it is approved by VAG and it may well take a brave person to be the first to try it unless they have inside knowledge, I did read an article about VAG using a 30% HVO 70% normal fuel mix in one of their test facilities during 2018 but cant find any results of this testing. Might help with those who have emissions issues at MOT time if it can be used.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It all depends of your engine, 1.9 TD and 2.5 VE Tdi will take it no problem, pd engines will just about take it and for CR is a NO-NO. HVO is very aggressive to rubber seals and will bring all **** from tank into the fuel filter due to strong cleaning properties...Due to lower lubricity compared to diesel injectors and high pressure fuel pumps will suffer as they work at extreme pressures...Look on your fuel filler flap, on some models it will say if biodiesel is suitable...Be aware that Biodiesel is blended at the pump in various proportions, some up to 15% biodiesel...

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Hi,

Just wonerding if anyone has used HVO?

I understand that Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil is a step up from the original biofuel and touted as extremely similar to regular diesel. Seems to be currently targeted to hgv and fleet operators.

Can't buy it from the pump at petrol stations but can order it in 205 litre barrels or 1,000 litre cubes.

Cheers

Dan

How much was it to buy?

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Just quickly scanned through this: Research on the Combustion, Energy and Emission Parameters of Various Concentration Blends of Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil Biofuel and Diesel Fuel in a Compression-Ignition Engine will read it later when the house is quiet as it's gonna be a technical head scratcher.

Lots of conflicting info out there, VW TDI up to 2009 should be ok, however saw mention of DPF issues, so will have to head down the rabbit hole and confirm.

Edit: the article used a 19tdi PD engine

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

I spoke to someone at Speedyfuels a couple of weeks ago who said HVO would be fine in my van (2.5tdi acv) - but take that with a pinch of salt. They said the minimum order is 1,000 litres in a cube and cost £1.35 per litre, so dearer than regular pump diesel. I think the total cost for the 1,000 litres of HVO, cube and delivery would be just shy of £1,500

www.speedyfuels.co.uk/products/hvo-fuel

www.crownoil.co.uk/products/hvo-fuel-hydrotreated-vegetable-oil/

www.birlemoil.co.uk/products/hvo-fuel/

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I spoke to someone at Speedyfuels a couple of weeks ago who said HVO would be fine in my van (2.5tdi acv) - but take that with a pinch of salt. They said the minimum order is 1,000 litres in a cube and cost £1.35 per litre, so dearer than regular pump diesel. I think the total cost for the 1,000 litres of HVO, cube and delivery would be just shy of £1,500

www.speedyfuels.co.uk/products/hvo-fuel

www.crownoil.co.uk/products/hvo-fuel-hydrotreated-vegetable-oil/

www.birlemoil.co.uk/products/hvo-fuel/
You just saved me trawling through that whole website, a guy has been using it in a 1.2tdi Audi, he has been using additives also, seems like a dead-end on HVO here for now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You just saved me trawling through that whole website, a guy has been using it in a 1.2tdi Audi, he has been using additives also, seems like a dead-end on HVO here for now.
Do you view it as a dead end due to the higher cost?

I haven't spoken to other suppliers yet, so price might be cheaper.

I'm not opposed to paying more than pump diesel, as the emissions are 90% cleaner, if I understand correctly.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Bugger, now I'm going to have to trawl through the link I posted earlier. Smiley face etc

I'm going in now

Just read through it and blends were being compared with other criteria.

In essence: pure HVO has an an alleged 90% percent decrease in emissions. I may print it out and highlight it as I go through, to give me some sort of skip back method to keep on track.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, not got a link to the data. Think I've got my terms mixed up. Says 90% reduction in greenhouse emissions.

The following is from Speedyfuels website.

BENEFITS OF HVO FUEL
There are plenty of advantages that HVO fuel offers over mineral diesel, both environmental and practical, including:
  • FAME-free, fossil-free & sulphur-free
  • 100% hydrocarbon, sustainable, renewable and biodegradable
  • Up to 90% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions
  • Shelf-life of up to 10 years compared to 1 year for mineral diesel
  • Drop-in alternative for mineral diesel (confirming to EN15940) and approved by numerous OEMs
  • Exceptional cold-weather performance
  • Produced from renewable and sustainable sources
HVO fuel is certified by the International Sustainability and Carbon Certification organisation (ISCC). Each shipment to Speedy Fuels is supplied with a certificate authenticating the Renewability and Sustainability of the product as well as the overall GHG CO2e (g/MJ) figure associated with the shipment and comparing that with an internationally recognised reference figure for fossil transport fuel. Our Net 90% reduction claim is a minimum GHG reduction figure based upon HVO fuel technology and is in fact higher. We only claim 90% GHG reduction due to variability on a batch to batch basis. Furthermore, Speedy Fuels offsets the delivery mileage associated with all our deliveries.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Following info is from Crown Oil

Why use HVO fuel?
Up to 90% reduction in greenhouse emissions: significantly better for the environment than regular diesel or biodiesel
Renewable, sustainable and carbon offset delivery mileage: synthesised from waste fats and vegetable oils, eliminating up to 90% of greenhouse gas emissions and reducing NOx, PM and CO emissions in addition to recycling food waste. We also offset the carbon produced by our delivery tankers, further improving the fuel’s green credentials
Drop-in replacement for regular diesel & gas oil: meets EN15940 standard for paraffinic fuels and Fuel Quality Directive 2009/30/EC Annex II. A wide range of OEM approvals means it can often be used without needing engine and machinery modification
Excellent cold-weather performance: higher cetane number (up to 90) and low cloud point (-32OC) provides better starting performance, clean combustion and less chance of waxing in extreme temperatures
High flashpoint: improved safety, storage and handling compared to regular diesel
Reduced need for regular testing: impurities are removed during the production process, eliminating the key factors for fuel degradation and increasing shelf life to around 10 years

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, I can see the 90% greenhouse emissions stands up compared to fossil diesel.
Don't think I would be thinking of it just for that though, especially as it is dearer than pump diesel.

Just a thought, are there any regulations on storage for that volume of diesel - bunded tanks and such?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts