VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an itch that needs scratching, or telling to belt up

I've currently got a 2 year tie in with my current employer, unless someone comes along and buys me out of my contact. The wife is a little po'd about her current employment position too. We live in a nice area of Cornwall (next to the moors) and have done for a few years now. I'm a Londoner by birth and the wife is a Yorkshire lass. We plan to move house in the next 12 months away from village life to somewhere like Truro, but I can't help but think how much better the wages are up north (of Bristol!) and whether we could have a better quality of life if we moved up to where she is originally from (Sheffield/Leeds are).

I'm I barking mad to want to move from Cornwall seeing as most folk can't wait to come down here?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I guess it comes down to what is important to you and what you have now. Living in a nice area of the country is worth a lot, in my opinion.

You might be higher paid elsewhere e.g. Bristol but may not live in as nice a place and could face a mind-number 5mph commute every day.

It might help to write down a list of what is really important to you without thinking about the places - e.g. "close to country", "near to big shops", "walks from the doorstep", "nighclubbing", "near to airport", "disposable income". Then when you have your list, score each option against your list of important things - then you can see not only what is "top scorer" but what also what things you have now you could be trading off by moving to get other things on your list.

After all that it comes down to what feels right. Sometimes you get bored and complacent in a place no matter how nice it is....

BUT....I'd stick your two years out and set a clear decision point at the end of that - including doing in the twe years anything that helps you move should that be your decision - get house into order, fix the squeaky gate etc.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
God's country mate Yorkshire :D

Only ever been to Cornwall twice so couldn't possibly offer an opinion based on 2 week's camping trips, but it's certainly a beautiful part of the country. Is that enough though? Granted it's a major, major part of life being happy in your location, but then there are some beautiful parts of Yorkshire.
It would depend on what line of work you're both in aswell. Are there jobs available up North doing what you both want?
As it appears it's your other half that needs a change could she not look for a different job in Cornwall. Easier said than done, but has she tried that?
You sound like you have some loyalty to your current employer aswell.

yiman has suggested a great idea in making a list which is what me and my good lady did when we moved from Newcastle down to Cambridge 15 years ago. The list on the "definately move" side far outweighed the "stay put" side. We had naff jobs we were giving up and only rented a flat but it was the best thing we did. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

Alternatively you could just stick some cream on the "itch" T:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts