VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Bernie. I just recently purchased a 2003 Eurovan GLS, here in the States, for my wife. My wife had to two requests, 1) Air Suspension 2) Wheels as soon as possible. Being that my new van is 10 years old, plus I am very new to the T4 platform, I have no idea where to get replacements for worn parts and/or locate aftermarket fancy parts here in the US. If there are any online retailers willing to ship to the US, I would be greatly interested.

Here is a photo when we first pick up the van. It already has some European spec goodies already installed, which made us purchase this van from out-of-state, about 1000 miles away from our house.

About halfway through our trip back from from purchasing the van, we stopped in a town where AccuAir suspension resides. Where we purchased the Air Management and all the necessary hardware to install the air suspension.

The trip back home took about 28 hours from Portland Oregon to Los Angeles California. But as soon as I got home. We instantly swapped out the wheels from my MK6 to the T4.

With most of our VWs we own, my wife and I always remove the rear wiper and assembly. Granted it gets dirty and it's harder to see in bad weather. However in Southern California, the weather is much nicer most days.

We have owned the van since February 15th. And only driven the van only twice, 1) on our way back home 2) on our way to Empire Fabrication. It's been at the fabrication shop since our 3rd day of ownership.

Empire will be installing the air bags and I will be setting up the management.

At first we thought it was going to difficult, the rears easy and the front hard. But the more and more we started unbolting pieces the more and more we figure it would be a lot of work.

Here is a photo of removing the rear spring, shock and bump stops.

Then we started cutting, till the bottom of the van lines up with the bottom of the tire. I guess we are trying to get it low.

No more wheel tub.

Now it can go much higher in the body.

Since we kept on cutting, we had to reenforce a lot of the structure. It's still a work in progress, but you can see our direction.

Here is a photo of the new frame rails.

Another photo of the frame rails being boxed in.

Here is a comparison of the old frame rail was and where the new one will be.

It's really scary to be doing this type of modification with only 30 hours of driving time with out new Eurovan. But when the wife says she wants something. I do my best to give it to her. ;)

Here are more recent photos, as of last night. We spent most of the time on one side, making sure the swing is maximized without hitting anything including the new rail. The rail and shock mount work great. Tire is all clear. Time to weld the frame and arm mount in.

I want to apologize for the photos, they were taken on our iPhone using Instagram. If you want to follow the air suspension build, search on Instagram #ProjektT4 and/or #EmpireFabrication

So this is me and my wife's Eurovan and our few days with it. We are still trying to figure out what type of wheels to finally go with. And trying really hard to find a monowiper kit as well as a glovebox. Other parts would be a tailgate blend, side skirts and possible a different front bumper, but haven't found anything we like.

Thanks for looking and I hope to chat with some of you in the new future. :ILU:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Blimey that was some driving you did to get it, that's dedication for you, will be following your build, good luck with it
Please send some photos of the sunshine!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Everyone, it seems I double posted a photo. I can't seem to edit my post, but here is the photo I wanted to post.

I have been modding cars since I got my license, obviously the older and older I get, the more involved the build is.

I started off with a Toyota Celica, then Chevy Astro Van, then Honda Civic, then VW MK4 Golf 2.0, VW MK2 Scirocco, VW MK1 Caddy Pickup, then now...

I have a VW MK4 (still have it, since brand new in 2000)

I just sold my MK2 Coupe

My wife's first VW (B5.5 Passat Wagon) - For Sale

My wife's lease MK6 Jetta - going to return at the end of the year

My daily, MK6 Golf TDI

Yup, that is pretty much it. The Eurovan is our latest purchase till we buy the next level of ownership, which is a house of our own. So we are trying to get the van as close to complete, so we can start modding our new house in the next few years.

I know it looks like a lot, but I know there is still so much that we still need to do. It's really hard here in the US to find accessories for a vehicle that is 10 years old. All the parts we want are either discontinued or the company itself went out of business. :(

I am looking for a Mono-Wiper and a Hatchblend, if anyone can recommend a place to purchase them, I would greatly appreciate it. T:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been following this on Instagram looks mint already, can't wait to see what you do with the front.T:
Thanks Crosser! Same here. LOL. The fronts are going to be interesting.

Here is the final mockup for the rear frame rail. It's all welded top and bottom making it 100% sealed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The frame rail is 100% complete and welded in. The control arms are pushed back to center the wheel in the arch. We are now ready to start building the wheel tubs. Prior to making the templates, we took a 19x9.5 et48 wheel with 215/35-19 tire and pushed it as high as possible. Here is the result. We plan on running a different set of wheels, but this test fit gives us a better idea of what we can play with. T:

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow Bernie that's a grand opening thread! Some fantastic work going on there.
I'm a Newb like yourself and have just bought a white '51 Caravelle for my wife, but I'll be holding off on the 'go low' until our 5 kids have grown up!

I too will be watching this thread with interest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Omg!!! That is immense!!! You Americans build e cars but by god you know how to mod them!!!!!! That is a sick velle!!!!
:ILU:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yesterday, we got some bungs for the top of shock tower mount. That way you only need to bolt it in. Rather than a nut and bolt.

Here is a photo of just the start of the top bag mount, you can see where the bung was welded in.

You'll get a better idea once more pieces are in place.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts