VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I want to flat bed IT... I have a swb shell here ... but i can't find any info on how too or where to begin

The pick up bed is too high for my likeing...and when I remove the pick up body it will still have a extra set of chassis rails chucking it about 4 " to high to drop a t4 shell on

will try strip it back over march see whats what

As of yet some welding on inner wing and make sure engine runs well before I spend money

·
Registered
288 Posts
Atleast it's a 2.4, very forgiving engine, and cheap enough to replace if need be..
Interesting to follow the build, keep it up T:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got the glow plug electrics sorted today and then it started to keep running with the ignition off so took out imobiliser and changed solinode thats that soirted put on alternator that works started the plumbing then the rain came

·
Registered
499 Posts
Get them extra rails off, not needed at all, theyre only there for extra strength for when loading the flat bed..When i bought mine it had been chopped, so the rails were off and the overhang at the rear had been shortened. Looked great! Now, its been lengthened again and I got a rear end from a custom guy in Germany, but there are plenty of choices out there.

Did think about doing the flat bed thing with a bodyshell too, seen some done and it looks good when done well. Best of luck with it all mate, always nice to see people playing with Dokas :ILU:

I think it would look great if you cut the shell at the swage line, welded all the doors etc to make it smooth as you like, and had a flush top, that opens on rams or something.

Enjoy your build!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Get them extra rails off, not needed at all, theyre only there for extra strength for when loading the flat bed..When i bought mine it had been chopped, so the rails were off and the overhang at the rear had been shortened. Looked great! Now, its been lengthened again and I got a rear end from a custom guy in Germany, but there are plenty of choices out there.

Did think about doing the flat bed thing with a bodyshell too, seen some done and it looks good when done well. Best of luck with it all mate, always nice to see people playing with Dokas :ILU:

I think it would look great if you cut the shell at the swage line, welded all the doors etc to make it smooth as you like, and had a flush top, that opens on rams or something.

Enjoy your build!
thanks for reply if i couldpush you abit in this subject
if i remove the drop side chassis as i said before it reveals an extra chassis sitting
on top of one that looks a similar depth to to a standard t4
these rails i refer to have 2 support struts going to the back of the cab rising up
at an angle (if memory serves me correct .. at work so cant look)
these also provide support for the rear springs .. and look to be welded on
s cut these off and modify the underneath of a swb rear cutting off chassis
centre rails out and it should drop on
am working out of my head here not by vans so could be
a load of rubbish
dont suppose u have a picture of one cut down ...

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you check out my thread "doka hotrod" youll see loads of photos of the van in various states and with bare chassis, hopefully this will give you an idea what is and isnt needed.

Essentially the top chassis, lets call it, is totally unnecessary once you get rid of the tipper bed; my guess it is there to stop the primary chassis from bending, as it is rated for +/- 1tonne of load.
Youll see on mine, that we got rid of it entirely and put it back to how a normal T4 chassis would look, single section.

The angles struts you refer to are for the bench seatbelts, so that they are tied to the chassis, rather than the floor pan.. I got rid of these recently and IF i put rear seatbelts in, then I will have plates made to reinforce the floor & bolt them down through chassis, closer to the cab.

Have a look through the thread and after youve seen the chassis pictures and all the mods we did after it had been cut around, then Ill be happy to answer whatever questions you still have.

Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well after a lot of trouble on Fri I removed the head Id just put on to reveal a acv head gasket ( Won't make that mistake again) I had the head skimmed to be safe side which I neglected the first time around

rebuilt the head sat afternoon and had lots of trouble with the new lifters .. next time ill try storing them in oil

they had locked solid .. anyway fitted an old set in .. got dragged of to the sunday market yesterday morning but started about to fit head about

1400 fired It up 1700 and had the rad connected at 1800 all looked well

Today put it all together tidy all ancillarys and and took it for a spin on the bridal way by me to get the temp up and test fans all ok

Then I took the rear body off .. thats it for a while few more pressing jobs will be looking at it again in a week or two

·
Registered
499 Posts
That was one of the vans made by Rolf Stahl, over in Germany. He made the kit that went onto mine.. if you go to his page on facebook, he has an entire section dedicated to different types of doka pickup conversions.. good for some inspiration.

https://www.facebook.com/VW.pickup?fref=ts

There are also a lot of good pictures on the photos page on this forum. Search for Schick tuning, they did alot with the doka as well.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
work so far have cut up top flat bed chassis utiling the cross members and shortening the width to the pickup width

set up the first rail ofering up some new panels

then built the rest of the new "bed"

cut out a bad chassis rail and replaced

hopefully shotblast and prime tommorow

"setting up"

[/URL]

"rebuilt chassis"

[/URL]

"new chassis rail"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts