VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad times as yet another of this countries complete ******s shows his true colours.

Drove from Bath all the way down to Cornwall, test drove a van, agreed a price... Happy as larry.

Been ill this week so could not get down to Cornwall to pick it up today but said i would go down either Mon or Tues with the full amount of money.

Only to get a reply...

"Sorry I've sold it, you messed me about and took too long to pick it up and i needed the cash."

W T F springs to mind.

I thought that when you make a deal and shake hands its signed and sealed (for mostpeople).

Nevertheless i'm back on the hunt for a better van, it was ty and needed a lot of money thrown at it anyway.

Rant over.

Go me. :ILU:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Unfortunately, there are people out there like that, but hey the next van will be better it always is....

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
When I viewed my van, and agreed to purchase it, I signed a promise to buy and made the seller sign a promise to sell contract. The contracts were free from some place here that I'd used to run a check on the numberplate and vin number They emailed and posted the results of the searches, and included the selling/buying contract.

I would not have felt comfortable buying from a stranger [private sale] without it.

·
Cornwall Massive
2,838 Posts
Nothing says "I'm a serious buyer" to a private seller like a cash deposit dude - to be fair, if you didn't hand over even a fifty quid holding deposit, you've left him with only a promise to buy and then you've not gone back when you said. IMO, you can't really call him names now just cos someone else has turned up with the cash when they said they would to drive the van away... :*

Sorry you feel like you've been shafted, but as a seller of several vehicles (and other stuff too), I've heard "I'll definitely have it" from more than my fair share of timewasting A-holes. Not saying you're one, but unfortunately, it seems like you've been tarred with the same brush by this guy... :(

p.s. I'm not sticking up for the seller just cos I'm in Cornwall too... ;) :ILU:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Nothing says "I'm a serious buyer" to a private seller like a cash deposit dude - to be fair, if you didn't hand over even a fifty quid holding deposit, you've left him with only a promise to buy and then you've not gone back when you said. IMO, you can't really call him names now just cos someone else has turned up with the cash when they said they would to drive the van away... :*

Sorry you feel like you've been shafted, but as a seller of several vehicles (and other stuff too), I've heard "I'll definitely have it" from more than my fair share of timewasting A-holes. Not saying you're one, but unfortunately, it seems like you've been tarred with the same brush by this guy... :(

p.s. I'm not sticking up for the seller just cos I'm in Cornwall too... ;) :ILU:
Couldn't agree more[& not just because I live here]:D buyers & sellers have two complete opposite agendas, If any prospective buyer of my stuff would have to leave me with a deposit big enough to make him think twice about changing his mind,no deposit no deal & as for signing paper contracts pre sale LOL:;)

Hope the OP gets sorted soon, there plenty of good vans out there.

·
Cornwall Massive
2,838 Posts
There's a reason why the phrase "put your money where your mouth is" exists and is so widely used... :ILU:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Not sold until deposit paid/received.

I was worried that I was going to lose my purchase as the seller didn't want me to give him a deposit. Far too trusting in my opinion, he came good, but I wasn't happy until I have given him the lot as I knew he could still sell it to someone else. I got back there is 2 days with the full whack. He was "OK till the end of the week", but I wasn't having it.

Just giving a different perspective.

You'll find another, better one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not being funny to all the "put your money where your mouth is" comments and attitudes. But if you look at a van on the internet and go and view it your not obliged to take any money what so ever, especially if the van has done 180k. We didn't hand over a deposit because the van wasn't any where near the standard the ad described (it was rough as **** actually) and he also said someone else was going to look at it. I put in an offer when i got home (which gave me time to budget what needed to be done). After a few calls and convo's we'd agreed a price and also agreed to help him out with some work on his house as its my area of work. Was just unfortunate i'd been ill for a few days which obviously held things up. cash was as cold as anyone elses ready to go.

I mean am i in the wrong but if you say one thing and do another and ends up leaving the situation sour it just makes you look like a bit of a really. (this is not a generalisation of the Cornish.)

But aside from all that "twas fate"

and has also lured me into a VW garage to look at a brand new one.. that way you just have to put up with target clutching salesman instead.

*<:)>

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Shame but as mentioned you can't really blame him as money talks. Plenty more out there! ( vans!)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
It's sad that a shake of the hand and a "gentleman's agreement" don't mean anything anymore, but this is the mercenary world we live in, well mostly anyway. Money talks (as it's been said).

Don't judge other people by your own standards, they will often let you down.

I'm sure it a lesson learnt or a lucky escape if it was a bit of a heap.

Good luck with the search.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
A lucky escape bud! If you keep looking for a T5 stick the Vito on the list as well because they are more or less the same characterless box on wheels. Save your money and wait for a really pukka T4 to come along, they are far superior and you wont have to fix it all the time and if you do it will only cost £££'s not ££££'s :Rasp:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
A lucky escape bud! If you keep looking for a T5 stick the Vito on the list as well because they are more or less the same characterless box on wheels. Save your money and wait for a really pukka T4 to come along, they are far superior and you wont have to fix it all the time and if you do it will only cost £££'s not ££££'s :Rasp:
But don't think about going within the M25 with it after February next year (unless you get a very late T4 due to the LEZ (coming to a city near you anytime soon).

·
Registered
559 Posts
T:
But don't think about going within the M25 with it after February next year (unless you get a very late T4 due to the LEZ (coming to a city near you anytime soon).

And a mobile welder to put back the stuff that falls offRasp: BTW that's not for you BrianT:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
jimmy you seem to bash on a bit strong slating the t5's :* this section is the t5 forum characterless box on wheels etc ,in more than one post and your a moderator representing this forum .

I can see where your coming from about them somewhat as i own 3 but i have also owned lots of t4's

and well t4's are FAR from being superior in any way shape or form, antiquated clatter boxes full of rusty seams and windscreens that "just crack" and bottom pullies that vibrate off not to mention gearboxes made of chocolate and the pedal boxes dropping off ,thats just to name a few .

But you must remember there are lots of nice folks with great t5's which make the vw show scene really fun .

I always wave at t5's and t4's when out and about and regretably i dont get many back .

·
Registered
75 Posts
yeah i left a deposit and it was still being advertised but he just forgot to take it off. got the van.
you were just unlucky to be dealing with an ass****!

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
jimmy you seem to bash on a bit strong slating the t5's :* this section is the t5 forum characterless box on wheels etc ,in more than one post and your a moderator representing this forum .

I can see where your coming from about them somewhat as i own 3 but i have also owned lots of t4's

and well t4's are FAR from being superior in any way shape or form, antiquated clatter boxes full of rusty seams and windscreens that "just crack" and bottom pullies that vibrate off not to mention gearboxes made of chocolate and the pedal boxes dropping off ,thats just to name a few .

But you must remember there are lots of nice folks with great t5's which make the vw show scene really fun .

I always wave at t5's and t4's when out and about and regretably i dont get many back .
Sorry guys, having had one for a short time i just dont get the appeal thats all. I'm all for choice go for it but having seen the build quality and silly design faults i personally will be steering well clear. I just hope they dot it right on the 5.1, so far so good as far as i can tell T:T:T:

You are right about the T4 being far from reliable (i have had more than my fair share of problems with mine) but parts are plentiful and easy to get and its easy to fix in comparrison. As for build quality, there is no comparison, the T4 is far more solid with the exception of the odd bit of rust on the arches.

·
Registered
85 Posts
After looking far and wide for a vans before and then this time for a T5, ended up buying from a VW dealer for peace of mind, went to see so many that turned out not to be as advertised or being told when you are already on your way to see 1 that it is gone!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts