VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

I have just purchased a 2005 T5 2.5 T30 for conversion. However now getting cold feet

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  64 SPLIT 
#1 ·
Hoping someone might be able to put my mind at ease here. I have just bought a T5 2005 2.5 T30 120k on the clock to convert into a camper. I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to transporters but I have seen a number of posts about the early 2.5s having a lot of isses. I am now getting cold feet about devoting a load of time and money to converting for it to be a bit of a rotten apple. Everything seems good on the van so far but really interested to get peoples views. I could always turn it round with a quick recarpet and put it back on the market if I have made a mistake D:

#2 ·
I would not worry at all.

I have a 2007 2.5 camper with almost 200 k miles. Still going strong. I've seen some with double this mileage.

The main issues that I'm aware of are premature camshaft wear and exhaust manifold studs breaking. Both of these can be resolved by any decent garage.

Another thing to make sure is that the water pump is replaced at regular intervals, as a failure can dump coolant into the engine.

All engines have their own problems and the 2.5 doesn't seem to be any worse than any other, as long as they're looked after properly.

Personally I would say go for it and enjoy! (y)

#4 ·
We've got a 2005 Kombi, converted, with 100k miles on it and it's good. It's had the water pump dump the coolant into the engine oil, and the oil cooler dump engine oil into the coolant, but it's been carefully maintained and is still running fine.

The thing you need to be sure about is that it's been serviced regularly and that you continue to service it regularly and put the right oil in it (read the Owner's Manual!).

#6 ·
Ive got a 58 plate kombi which has 230k miles and ive been converting it. Had a full service history, some from main dealer and all receipts from work done by the previous owner. Been in the garage a few times only for mot and just minor things and its all running fine still. I can understand about getting cold feet but like @Plateletboy has said, if you're really that worried, get used to the van and figure out its quirks before devoting too it! All the best for the conversion and im sure it will be the right one👍

#9 ·
If it fits your needs then go for it - the good thing is these vans hold their value well, so even if you do decide to part company with it in the future, you might not recoup your outlay but you'll have added to the value of the van to what it was. 120k on the clock is pretty low mileage for a van of it's age so even though it's 15 years old it sounds like it's still got plenty of 'life' left - and it can always be facelifted to look newer too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.