VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.. So heres what ive got myself into.. Ive always loved challenging myself with project vehicles.. and been succesful at it (as long as theres money lol) my first project i finnished was a 1992 z71 chevy silverado.

it WAS AWESOME but drained my pocket at the pumps..sold it and got a 2 door honda civic to play with.. im tired of being pulled over (cops in toronto love pulling over Hondas) and being tempted to speed in this little lowered rocket..

Now Ive fell inlove with this rare boxy diesel van! (we call it a VW Transporter) Over here in canada is VERY unusual compaired to the sea of ford dodge chevy and honda vans (all bubbly body styles) I love how it stands out, but i love more the potential fuel economy and utility!

I searched and searched.. very hard to find.. all rusty white panel vans... or gas...asking $5-7000!!! then, either thru a gift from above... or a curse from the devil (I NEED YOUR OPINIONS!)

...I BOUGHT this beautiful 1997 van in great shape with a fresh proffesional paint job.. 18in aluminum rims + winters, air bag kit, stereo system for $3000 cdn...

KNOWING it needs injectors (blowing tons of black smoke all the time..while reving) i talked him down from $4500.. now i want to rip out the gutless LOUD 2.4 diesel (instead of repaiing it).. and put in a newer generation, quieter 1.9 tdi. What is the best choice engine..? will the 1.9tdi engines bolt onto my 5 speed 1997 trans? 1995? 2000? 2006? i was told the 2006 fits is that true? (is the 2006 worth the hassel of conversion compaired to the 1995's in regards to initial cost, engine noise and fuel economy?)

:confused:I NEED TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE WHO ARENT MECHANICS TRYING TO ROB ME.. CAN ANYONE HELP ME PICK A NEW HEART FOR MY T4!?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL IM GOINNA TAKE THE POT OF COFFEE ADVICE AND SAVE THE SEARCHING FOR FIRST THING IN THE MORNING! Im new to the forum thing.. but ill figure it out.. got a slang dictionary for me by any chance? or do i sound funny too you too? ;)

Good to know this forum is very active!

Everything ive read sofar is very helpful.. except i cant yet find a 2.4 (non turbo) --> 2004ish 1.9tdi swap example.. Our vw vans only came with that slow engine for a diesel option...

ttyl
:ILU:

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
There aren't any with a 2004ish golf engine used buddy, the easiest conversion is with the Mk3 golf lump. It can easily be tuned to 140ish bhp

If you look at the top of the tri library opening page it gives you a shopping list for parts needed for the various swopsT:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not sure who you are.. but you must be some sorta VW god talkin to me..

Yea thats kinda what i figured.. i was thinkin of goin crazy but that 140 bhp is plenty to pull around some tools.. im NEW to diesel and VW and im sure ill be semi pro in a few years lol.

i know the 3rd gen diesel fits and ill use it if its possible to get good power without smokin everyone out behind me???

thats kinda why ive been leanin towards a wrecked 4th or 5th gen donar car..(front clip) and A LOT of work...

how does the mk3 compair to mk4? mk5? when it comes to black smoke and fuel economy.. slightly tuned?

Obviously the work involved is crazy but since i have a drivable car.. and the van has a prestine body..(eveything here is rusted from salt..)

i might consider the newest possible if the mk3 is going to look like a train and sound like a transport truck..(like most of the older diesel vdubs i see on utube!)

Maybe only 5% of our light truck/van/cars are diesel.. People arent use to sitting behing black smoke over here!

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
Done right fella the only smoke you'll see will be from spinning the front tyres up:D

If you delete the exhaust gas recirc valve, straight through exhaust, .216 injectors and a decent Remap it'll be tip topT:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Why not freshen up the 2.4, modify the pump, tweak the fueling, oh and bolt on a turbo??? use the standard vw stuff its an 8hr job..or go down the volvo turbo route, again plenty of info on the forum..Better make it 2 pots of strong black coffee!!!:ILU:

Oh and welcome aboard!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually i love the idea

...besides the fact that the2.4 is so loud at idle.. way louder than say, a dodge v8 diesel van.., it sounds like the mk2's nockin an growling.. is it just my engine?..

I thik the van has small exhaust leak, that will obviously be fixed in the conversion.. but any chance you have a sound clip of your engine running/spooling?

Do you know if the power, fuel economy and engine noise is better or worse on any of the newer generation diesels? i belive vw released the 2.4 maybe as far back as 89 correct?

Im looking at currently replacing the 5 injectors @ near $200 cdn/each.. timing belt and kit, water pump and maybe fuel pump.. then id have to source a rare 2.5tdi turbo intake and exhaust and HOPE after $$$$ SPENT... the previous owners of the van diddnt damige the engine.... since its got 300+km im HOPING it dosent need to see the machine shop...

WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO?. FIX what ive got and deal with the noise from the 2.4 over the lack of power from a 1.9? or source a new gen 2.5? OR tweak a 1.9?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW i LOVE the Creamsicle Orange vDub bro!

lol couple more questions... arent you afraid of the steel wook in your intake and is the splash back a reason to rethink the custom intake pipe? oily wet filters?

After 6 months of driving with the conversion.. would you have done anything different if you had to start over?

thanks for the help buddy*<:)>!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Oh just stick with the 2.4 lump, give her some loving care and treat her like an old lady, anyway who needs to drive around like a speed freak, get speeding tickets, points on your licence and burn all that fuel. I personally prefer to plod along you can take in the scenery and its far more less stressful. Just let that nutters overtake you then wave and laugh when you pull up behind them at the next set of traffic lights.

Oh! just my thoughts and not meant to upset anyone I:I:I:I:

*<:)>*<:)>

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
keep the 2.4 and bolt on a turbo then go enjoy :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts