VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys and gals. I have posted in the what's it worth thread but no replies...

I havent had my camper long, and i'm not looking to sell.....but I made the mistake of not looking around much and bought the first one i saw haha....so just want some reassurance that i havent spent more than its worth and that I can improve with out losing a hideous amount on it

its a 2.4 with the 2.5 turbo conversion
galaxy front spinning seats
full camper conversion
good service history

my plan is to lower it, paint the roof black and have a full blow over on the outside to bring it up to tip top condition..and retint all the windows. and put the original rounded bumpers back on. colour coded

what do we think?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really don't get this whole t4 thing you know. There seems to be no standard of pricing at all.

I guess I won't be doing any of the bits I want to as I'd lose a fortune. A black roof and full blow over with the rounded bumpers isn't going to add that much to the value I assume

Aaarrrgggg

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
I really don't get this whole t4 thing you know. There seems to be no standard of pricing at all.

I guess I won't be doing any of the bits I want to as I'd lose a fortune. A black roof and full blow over with the rounded bumpers isn't going to add that much to the value I assume

Aaarrrgggg
Why are you worried about it's value if you are not looking to sell..you should be looking at what you need it for, and if it fits the bill, enjoy it....anything you do to it should be to please you, and if it does add value, all the better...T:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Firstly I appreciate the replies guys thanks.

The reason I'm so worried about value is because the idea was to spend some house deposit money on a van to enjoy for a year or two and then sell on to get the money back when we are in a position to buy.

I paid over 4k for the van and am now worried lol

·
Registered
731 Posts
What did you pay? It's simply worth what someone's willing to pay for it. You clearly was willing to pay more than 4k so hopefully you can find someone else. I wouldn't worry to much. If you've only got it a year or so you should be enjoying it!

·
Registered
4,254 Posts

Aaarrrgggg
Clearly!

You know what it's worth to you, i.e. the amount you paid.
Use it and enjoy it for what it is- that value is priceless my friend ;) x

·
Registered
214 Posts
yeh definitely mate, just do a few tidy up jobs and get on and use it!
mate have a look on ebay, gumtree ect
I only got my bus 3 month's ago after looking for 2year's, I think 4k is cheap as there are a lot out there with 200,000 plus on the clock and tatty as you like for around the 6k. and t4,s seem to hold there price at the mo if not go up a bit, and when you do sell do it at the start of summer as i found :( every one put's an extra £1000 pound on the price

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cheers guys,

how do I know if my springs are normal or heavy duty? or do they all fit the same? I want to lower it and I imagine i'm going to be wanting the heavy duty springs...

cheers

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Modifying any vehicle does not guarantee a return on your investment.

I've done it ever since I could take the little front wheel and forks out of a raliegh chopper bike and replace it with a rear wheel so I could wheelie and make it different when I was 10.. I sold it for a profit btw :D Albiet 3quid :)

This continued onto motorbikes and cars and now vans. From hardtail choppers to mini vans with a midmounted v6 and forged engine powered Evo's.
I do it because I want to and because its a challenge. And because I can. :D
I dread to think of the money I've lost over the years modifying / improving the original to suit my tastes, power or style needs.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Dude were all out of pocket. This probly isnt the best place to ask because people always say 3-4g. I spent 4g and then had to spend 3g on the engine. I can never imagine I will see a return on it.

Im sure you could comfortably get 5 and above! If you sell at the right time and to the right person. Ideally you would want to find someone who isnt a member of the forum and is jumping on the vw bandwagon. We were all nieve when we bought are vans. Apart from the pros who have been in the camper game longer than ive been alive.

how about dont spend anymore money. Or if you are things like erberspachers, and reimo roofs are the way to bump up the value but are very costly. Springs and a black roof sadly will not.

If you wanted a safe investment you should have spent 4g on gold or silver!
Lol

Dont fret. Its only money.

Get out and enjoy it bud. Something I wish I could do.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well I recently sold my VWT4 Autosleeper Topaz, which I bought 14 months ago, I sold it for over a thousand more than I paid, VWT4 are holding their price and are much sort after, although if it has been modified that may not be the case, I have found pps like original and will pay for one.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I bought a straight van for £4k
I spent £2k on the interior conversion
£600 on wheels
£1500 on a TDi conversion
Plus loads of extras, TV, bull bar, side bars and what ever else I can't remember...

It just went for £5k on ebay..... Gutted...

Todays lesson: You never get back what you put in.

·
Registered
775 Posts
My first t4 i had i swapped for an audi a4 b6 that i had that was worth 2k tops, spent probably just over a £1000 doing the t4 up and turning into a camper and sold it for £5k. It was a 1998 2.4d that i converted to a 1.9tdi myself.

The lesson i have learnt over the years is to do all the work yourself and not to pay someone else to do it for you. I have saved thousands in garage costs and i am no mechanic but i know one end of a spanner to the other...

I am currently doing up my second t4 that i have done a full respray on myself, put windows in etc and turning into a camper, i picked that up for £1k and its a 1999 2.5tdi. I am however doing it abit better i.e. crash tested rock n roll bed etc, but i am putting money into it that i made on my last t4, so ill have a fully resprayed camper for less than £3k

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds ideal rydinator. I started today with a bit of cupboard vinyl. £20 and well worth the effort

1 - 20 of 20 Posts