VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to get my van ready for tunes but have absolutely no idea what I'm doing so if I tell you what I've got and what I wanna achieve I wonder if some kind soul(s) can point me in the right direction?

Ok, I've got those replacement Alpine dash speakers and a pair of 'theloudest.com' 1000w 6x9's in the doors and it sounds kind of ok up front but the stereo that came with the van is a rubbish cheap pioneer and I wanna change it so I can run an ipod via a lead out the front (I don't like controlling the pod through the stereo)
So I need a new stereo and I've got a 1000w JBL sub that I'm gonna bury in my RnR bed so apparently I need a stereo with a pre-out???????? Here is where I get lost....what is a pre out and can I then power my sub? Oh, and I need an amp too (I think!)

So, what stereo? I don't have a big budget by the way
What leads do I need?
What's a Pre out??
An amp recomendation?
And how la funk do I wire it all up!??

I know there's loads to ask there but I'm a muppet when it comes to car stereos so any help would be good

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
931 Posts
try pm, ing t4lwbsteve . he does that sort of thing for a living and is from Northampton
too.T:

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
i got 3 way components in the front. 3 speakers split with a crossover.
17 cm in the door pocket
10 cm in the dash and tweeters at the top of the A pilar.
i have 13 cm componets in the back and 6x9's
and a 12" sub in a 1cu ft sealed box.

the rear components are the only ones that run off the head unit.
all the others run off a JBL 6 channel amp

6x9's and co-axial speakers are 2 or 3 speakers in one chasis. so the sound comes from one place.
components are seperate speakers that increase the spread of sound by spacing them out.
making them a lot clearer.

the pre outs are the ones that go to the amp, Red and white av phono jacks like a home system.
they are none amplified line outs.

i got one of those 7" double din dvd touch screen headunits off ebay....but it's broken a few times.
and tbh the screen is the only good thing about it.
i'd go for a decent unit with a mosfet amp so you don't get pops or booms everytime you turn it on.
i've been lurking round this one. it seems alru=ight to me. need to square it with headoffice.....the mrs! :D
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/6256.html

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so the pre outs have become (a little) clearer and I'm now lookin for a head unit with mosfet amp...But I still need an amp to power the sub?, what size?? It's a 1000w sub so 1000w amp???

Also, I don't intend on getting a stereo with a screen...that's why I get in my van, to get away from the tv to be honest.

I know some people will be lookin at this post thinkin I'm stupid but it's all greek to me this car stereo stuff so all info is appreciated.

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
you can't know everything dude! :ILU:

1000w is the max it will ever draw
it's about 300 watt RMS....why they blag us with 2 numbers is beyond me.
anyway......... i'd get up to 300watts for the amp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts