VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I`ve owned my 1997 T4 campervan for 8 years. Two weeks ago my VW dealer changed gearbox oil as its done 100,000 miles. When I tried to drive off after a long drive 300 miles later nothing happened, only a slight grinding noise. Engine and clutch renewed at 55,000 miles.
Can anyone advise please as it is still in Essex.
Thank you as I want to "keep on truckin`"

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I'd guess at length that it's one of the circlips on the inner CV joint that's failed or popped off and the gearbox is not engaging with the drive shaft.

Easy fix

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Hi

Thank you for your response. Sadly I could not access your original reply which I still can`t find. Can you repeat please?

Many thanks
i did not as you still have not taken the questions asked by Fatboy35 any further. untill you have put some input into your first post on this how can we even start guessing what the issue might be?

so as you seem incapable of answering them in your first post here they are again.

:) If it was driving and running ok before now what has changed?

Are there any oil patches in the belly pan or on the drive under the van (new stains obviously) ie has the gearbox still got oil in it.

Is it still running smooth and idleing correctly in neutral, no obvious sounds or smells indicating something is amiss?

Does the clutch 'feel' the same when depressed, any changed in noise or smell? (which end is the 'Slight grinding noise' coming from?)

Assuming all the above is correct and nothing has changed and it has been parked for a while, I would suspect the handbrake cable has siezed or the rear pads are 'stuck' to the rear disks.

A siezed cable will not allow the release of the pads (or shoes on drum brakes)

Stuck pads (or shoes) may free off if you hit the caliper/s with something heavy to 'shock' them loose (with the handbrake selected off ;) )

If you can get someone to look for movement at the wheel and under the van you may know more, no movement at all would indicate siezed cable, movement of the hanbrake levers at the caliper would indicate stuck pads.

To check you could chock the front wheels and jack the rear to check each wheel individually.

IF you suspect stuck pads you could be a little more 'aggressive' with the revs and pop the clutch I: (at your risk ;) )
We await the results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your kind reply.

I was driving along the road and I suddenly lost forward motion and heard the slight grinding noise. This was only a couple of days after driving from Dorset to Essex (200 miles) so it isn`t the brakes or h/brake.
No smell or evidence of oil underneath. Only minor grinding noise when I put in gear (as normal) and try to drive off. No noise or other evidence of problems when in neutral.

Does this help? I cannot check gearbox oil and pan as vehicle is in Essex and I am not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts