VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be doing a conversion soon with an extremely small budget and what i have been trying to figure out the most is a way of saving money on a bed. Most rock n roll beds are going to be no less than £400 once fully upholstered.
A standard uk single bed is 91cm in width which is more than enough for me so i've been looking for a cheaper alternative.
I found a small pull out "chair-bed" from ikea which i think could be perfect, the assembly instruction show what the frame is like and it comes with the mattress and covers. And is only £160. I'm sure it could be bolted to the floor like any other rock n roll bed and i'm aware it won't be top quality...

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S79839996/#/S19839999

I'd love to hear your views on this chair/bed as i am a complete novice with conversions so far:)

·
Registered
308 Posts
no offence but that ikea looks pants in my opinion.. keep your eye on ebay or build one to your own spec.. a challenge is always goodT:

·
Registered
2 Posts
A metal frame Futon would be a good cheap option, especially a 2nd hand jobbie. If you or someone you know has a welding capability, it shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate seat/lap belt anchor points. check out Gumtree or Ebay for your area. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
A metal frame Futon would be a good cheap option, especially a 2nd hand jobbie. If you or someone you know has a welding capability, it shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate seat/lap belt anchor points. check out Gumtree or Ebay for your area. Hope this helps :)
Bolting an Ikea or similar metal based frame to the floor of your van, with DIY fitted seat belt anchor points is just asking for trouble. In a crash the bed itself may stay bolted to the floor if its only the weight of the bed trying to fly forwards that the floor fixings have to deal with. Potentially you could strap another 200kg in the form of your mates. That extra 200kg could be enough to rip the seat from the floor sending your mates into the back of the front seats. No doubt about it, they are going to get hurt badly. And probably do some serious damage to you in the drivers seat plus whoever else you have up there.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've literally just bought on off eBay T: 10 quid it cost me. And 15 quid fuel to pick it up. Cant go wrong!! I'm welding longer legs to it though as it is pretty low and u can stow anything under it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i haven't seen any cheap ones on ebay at all. The seat won't be in use whilst driving , only stationary use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts