VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Am thinking about taking the van off the road for a while and changing the engine for something more powerfull than my 2.5ajt.
Had a thought of a vr6 with a supercharger running on gas??, or maybe trying to fit a 2.5pd from a t5 then tuning that??. Whatever route i take i want to use the gearbox as well as mine is allready undergeard and would be a waste of time having all the power with low gearing. My main aim is to have an engine that cruises better(like a t5 does 95mph at 2500rpm ish).
Any input greatfully received.:ILU:
Cheers Christian.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
There was a member on here a while back doing a T5 2.5PD conversion. Can't remember if it was finished though. He had the engine and box all fitted up with pictures so it's doable(is that a word?).

I looked into 1.9PD and 1.8 20V turbo conversions a while ago. Getting the gearbox to fit is the sticking point. You could use the VW box from 2.5 88bhp or 1.9 vans and do the 5th gear conversion as done by agie and others.

A 1.9 150 PD bottom end (nice and strong) with mechanical pump. big turbo, 5th gear mod and a LSD would be my ideal set up. :D

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
As the guys from 'The Phirm' said its all about the angles!!!

most gearboxes will fit, but is weather they will fit and allow the specific angles to be correct!! I got the 6 speed skoda vRS box in, but then when thet offered the engine up there was no hope of it fitting!! They could of done it but would of meant cutting bits out and they said that was bad news!! plus the special drive shafts were about 1200 quid!! :eek::*
Ouch, no thanks stick to the 5 speed!! H:
So i have got the original 5 speed that goes with the 2 litre petrol that i had there originally!! how long this will last who knows!! May try and get hold of another box, study the ratios and see wots wot!!
My advice to you is go for it!! wot will be will be!!
I did just that!! and, hopefully, i gonna have a van that will really really annoy alot of other road users! :D

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mule, Its good to know that the 2.5pd will fit with some work as i think this would be a good conversion, will do a search and see what i can findT:

Ian, i am doing quite a lot of track days on my R1 and travel a lot to my Enduro races, a lot of the tarmac circuits are the other end of the country so am wanting to have a van that cruises well on the motorway......not that i ever go above 70mph.I:.
I could just go and buy a 174 T5 but i prefer my T4 anyday.

Tonic, Your conversion has been an insperation for me to think outside the box and cant wait to see her all done.....your right though the gearbox is the deciding factor but am sure there must be a way around it......and i am going to try.:ILU:

·
Registered
401 Posts
It's a big step.....I wonder if we are just a whisker away from cracking the gearbox/smoke free 180bhp+ mindbender, with the existing engine!

I had a 174 T5......they seem a bit fragile....turbos go......?????

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have been talking to someone in the know today and they say that the 174,s are giving trouble, cam failure and knocking out the bottom end as well as clutch problems??. Dont know if this true but wouldn't want to go to all the effort in a transplant to find out that i have fitted a weak engine,maybe i should like you say stick with what i got because it is bullet proof......sorting the gearbox ratio's or final drive would be a big step forward.
I think mine needs a bigger intercooler to help clean it up a bit.I:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
i standard 102bhp intercooler is big enough to do 186bhp on paper as bar and fin , placing it somewhere other than above the engine is good odea .

gearbox is the limiting factor no point getting all this power no matter if its standard or not it will only go as fast as its geard for.

working on this now should have some news in next week or 2 then if price is right will set up a groub buy for them fitting

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes i agree with what you are saying about the 102 intercoler and its position but i am running a larger intercooler in the front lower grill on my long nose. Last remap was 172.3 bhp but since then i have had a full engine rebuild with a few tweeks and a custom downpipe. The van is quicker and has more torque so think it could be pushing 180bhp??, but haven't had it on a dyno to prove this but am sure it will have more power than last time.
Really hope your man comes up with a gearbox solution as mine is so undergeard its silly, if this works out i will defo stick with my motor and invest in a turbo which should easily acheave the 200bhp mark.
Just need to get the suspension to keep up with it then!.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhh, is that from the Audi A6 or A8?, did they use the gearbox to match as well?.
That would be a monster if that can be done.

·
6,703 Posts
Has been done mate but dont know the full details. I would expect the GB and drive train to have been done too although I am not sure.

I'll pm you who to ask as he didnt want it in the open for some reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts