VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, following on from my thread about my immobiliser issues, I've been sent a copy of Vag Commander, which, I'm reliably informed, can switch off the immobiliser. And I've received my Vag Commander lead (its not a VCDS one) from ebay today.

If someone could tell me how to proceed I'd really appreciate it. I assume I'll have to assign a com port (?) or something along those lines. My mate set up my Vagcom for me as he's good on windows (I have a Macbook) but he's not around at the mo so any tips would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...forgot to mention. Laptop I have borrowed for the task is Dell job running Windows XP. Worked well with Vagcom for fuel pump timing.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll start another thread for this but if anyone can come to mine (nr Ipswich) and use their Vag Commander to turn off immobiliser I'm offering a reward/payment of £100. I just want to drive my van, if you can sort this there's 5 crispy £20's for you.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have had help and software from Reg and Gaz (cheers again guys) and would rather go this way if poss. Alancaddy has immobi ring, key and box for sale and will go that route soon if I can’t do it with Vag Commander.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Have had help and software from Reg and Gaz (cheers again guys) and would rather go this way if poss. Alancaddy has immobi ring, key and box for sale and will go that route soon if I can’t do it with Vag Commander.
Don't you need the ECU to go with the box and the Key?

I put all the versions of vag commander into my XP laptop but only ver 3.6 (or 3.4) would give me the option to select k-line as a connection option.

I don't recall any problems with getting the drivers to work - just installed the zip files that I sent you, pretty sure there was a readme type file included.

With the program opened, go down to lower right of screen and drop down the connection options and select k-line (below can bus options)

I read the eeprom, hit the immo off button and then wrote it back.

I think you can just get away with just hitting the immo off button alone - but I'm not 100% on this as I was messing about taking some original reads as a baseline and generally having a bit of a play with the software.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,201 Posts
"I think you can just get away with just hitting the immo off button alone - but I'm not 100% on this as I was messing about taking some original reads as a baseline and generally having a bit of a play with the software."

That's all I did. T:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put all the versions of vag commander into my XP laptop but only ver 3.6 (or 3.4) would give me the option to select k-line as a connection option.

I don't recall any problems with getting the drivers to work - just installed the zip files that I sent you, pretty sure there was a readme type file included.

With the program opened, go down to lower right of screen and drop down the connection options and select k-line (below can bus options)

I read the eeprom, hit the immo off button and then wrote it back.

After switching to K-line, I click the "read eeprom" button, and then nothing happens. The dialog box reads "connecting to device" and then after approx 1 minute it reads "Cannot connect to device. Switch on and off the ignition and try again". I do this, and same thing happens.

I wonder if you could look at your files Reg and tell me which file(s) I click on to install drivers - this is where I think I'm messing up.

I have 10 files in folder Vag_K+CAN_Commander_v3.6.

CDM_setup
FixDiag
FTChipID.dll
FTD2XX.dll
MWB (text file)
MWB_de (text file)
RCMicroDogSetup.dll
Tester
Vag (text file)
VAG VW Tester

Which one of these to I click on to install drivers. And do I install drivers with VAG Commander lead plugged in?

If you could guide me through install drivers process I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm pretty sure I've installed drivers now anyway. From above files I clicked on "CDM_setup", then from next batch of files I clicked on "DPInst Driver package installer" - this with lead plugged into USB port only (not van) - and got a dialog message at bottom right of screen saying something along the lines of "your device is now ready to use".

So, out to van - plug in, switch ignition on and fire up vag commander. Box pops up saying "open port failed". I ok this. Next box reads "cannot find device".

Tried again, this time with Gaz'z Vag Commander v2.5. This time I don't get those messages. Select K-line, then ECU, then read eeprom. When I do this there is a click from under dash, but then back to the "cannot connect to device" message after trying for a minute or so.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...forgot to mention USB serial port is set to COM3. In "Tester" file: Can Port=3, KWP Port=3, so I think I'm right to have serial port set to 3

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've installed drivers now anyway. From above files I clicked on "CDM_setup", then from next batch of files I clicked on "DPInst Driver package installer" - this with lead plugged into USB port only (not van) - and got a dialog message at bottom right of screen saying something along the lines of "your device is now ready to use".

So, out to van - plug in, switch ignition on and fire up vag commander. Box pops up saying "open port failed". I ok this. Next box reads "cannot find device".

Tried again, this time with Gaz'z Vag Commander v2.5. This time I don't get those messages. Select K-line, then ECU, then read eeprom. When I do this there is a click from under dash, but then back to the "cannot connect to device" message after trying for a minute or so.

Any ideas?
I'll check my USB setup, I did have to do a lot of messing about, swapping the plug to different USBs and probably did a re-install of the software at least once.

Getting a click does seem promising

You have the ignition on don't you? ;)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers guys for various suggestions- will give it another session over the weekend. If it’s not done this weekend I’ll send the ecu to ecutesting.com and they can turn immobiliser off permanently at ecu. Not the cheapest option (£150) but need this van back on the road.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts