VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong subsection to have put this in.

What I have: an S reg 1998 LWB 2.4D T4 with no service history.

I bought my van in Sept 2010, it had a problem starting over the winter months, but now seems to be fixed.

My current problem is that my engine seems to be burning a fair amount of oil. It puffs blue smoke on start up but once warm and being driven seems fine. I topped the oil up before a long run over Xmas I'll now keep note of when it next needs doing (hadn't done this before).

So once the engine is warm it seem to stop puffing blue smoke. That is until I have to stop and leave the engine idling for a short time (like at traffic lights). The engine starts to "chug" and each time it chugs it puffs out a puff of blue smoke. After a little while longer this then become a constant chug, chug, chug and constant blue smoke. (when I say constant, there may be half a second between each chug rather than 2 seconds). I could film it if I get the chance if this would help diagnose an issue.

On a side not and probably not for this section. When I am waiting at the lights, I can smell the burning oil in the cab. Does a filter need changing somewhere? I am guessing if I can fix the engine issue I won't smell it as much.

Thanks for your time, this forum seems a font of knowledge.

Tristan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that.

If it is this is it a big / complex / expensive fix? Also would I be doing any damage to the van if I leave it til the summer to get it repaired? Obviously keeping a very close eye on oil levels etc.

Thanks for the help.

Tris

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Ideally its a head off job which means head set and bolts possibly cam belt kit unless you know its good probably be £150 of parts then labour of say 6 hours unless DIY
It could be done with the head on if you find someone with the right kit

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Thanks for the advice, sorry for delay in getting back on it.

It seems to be getting a little bit better with the colder weather?

Also was chatting to a mechanic friend last night and he said that he had used some seal softener liquid that you put in and it will soften the seals so that they fit a little bit better. Is it worth trying this first, or is it something to avoid?

Tris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts