VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit concerned, as I have finally booked my T4 petrol/LPG camper to get the roof working and redone..I'm in London and the nearest place that seemed good is in Devon, so thought may as well..tonight.but I have been having starting issue.

Several times the van hasn't started recently, once after a long journey i stopped to fill up, on restart, usual handbrake and ignition light , but the oil and water( i think ) lights were flashing .checked oil, topped a bit, water, still nothing.after maybe 20 minutes, started, no problem.
Now since replacing the old battery as it was past its best, I have had the same problem from cold. I hardly use it except odd weekends. I have had to take it out and recharge it several times so of course there is some current drain somewhere?
Today, after fully charging , it started fine again.
The last few times it refused the same lights were flashing but dimmer. I imagined the leisure battery could be jumper cabled across, but there was still no action.
I have made sure the battery is fully charged now, it's showing 14.4v , when revving 14.9 so it seems the alternator doing its bit, the leisure battery on 14.6v, so happy . I make sure everything is off everytime. The only thing I cannot explain is this mystery rubber button, that may have belonged to some old alarm. The previous owner told me sometimes (?!) if it does not start he has had to press this a few(?) times, but I cant see how that would help. I have tried to check , there are a few 'mystery' fuses around (lpg, my headlight mod (upspex I think A:) but nothing jumps out, and there is definitely no alarm box I can see.
It was a 'proper' EMC conversion, so no real wiring nasties as far as I can see( apart from mine :) its such an annoying problem. Its driving me mad, and of course I don't have a spare for this van(only the foam can stuff) as my next plan was to try source some sort of space-saver if possible. But now I am putting off this journey hour by hour. I have trawled through the flashing oil pressure threads, over and over, but they seem to relate to while driving.
It starts at the moment, if I dont reply tomorrow night, then I am probably stuck somewhere towards Devon. Either way I will take my charger and get the garage to remove the battery terminals when possible. But this is driving me mad. I want to ask Travelvolts to fit a solar panel and some minor mods, but again quite far, and for now I have no time or money. The roof is hardly a thrill now with a van that is not reliable:( Any advice appreciated sorry this is hard to explain briefly .thanks .

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,386 Posts
14.4v should be the MAXIMUM you see....14.9 means your alternator is trying to boil your battery!

At "rest" your battery should read between 12.7 and 13.2 volts.
Connected to the van, I'd expect to see something like 12.5 (there is always a small drain).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
14.4v should be the MAXIMUM you see....14.9 means your alternator is trying to boil your battery!

At "rest" your battery should read between 12.7 and 13.2 volts.
Connected to the van, I'd expect to see something like 12.5 (there is always a small drain).
Ah well that would not help things at all.
Will double check the alternator output and take it from there.
Many thanks (may explain why the previous 'new 'battery kicked the bucket
Thanks
:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts