VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 2003 ex-AA T4, it only came with a single key. I could really do with a second key for SWMBO to have. Getting one cut is no problem at all, but I understand that the keys have a transponder chip in that deactivates the VW immobiliser.

So, does anyone know where and how I can get hold of another transponder chip? I am guessing a whole new key from VW is not going to be particularly wallet friendly!

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi Andy,

My van came with just the one key. Was recommended a Preston locksmiths. They cut a new key & coded it in about half an hour for £48. I think VW were £70 plus..

Cheers,

Warren

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, I see. There are key cutting companies that can code new keys too?

The reason I ask is that I have ordered a central locking kit, and it comes with two flip out keys. I can transfer the transponder chip from my original key to one of the new keys, but I need another transponder chip for the other key.

I'm half tempted to remove it, and just glue it inside the van somewher so you don't need it installed in the key. It seems a bit pointless having an immobiliser then though :)

Cheers
Andy

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
You can cut the old chip out of the old key then glue it into a space on the new key if you want. Or get a couple of copied keys and cut the chips out of them so you don't lose your existing key.

Watch out you don't break the chip tho!! You need balls of steel to do this to your last key:D:D

·
Registered
659 Posts
£66 all in from vw dealership, its not a huge price for the peace of mind to get a spaer cut, I went to lots of locksmiths who said they could do it but once they worked out it was the later type of key they said they couldnt, only one reckoned he could and he wanted over £100, Half the cost at VW is the key blank so if you just want a chip then VW may well be the cheapest option.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Silly mistake.

And make sure you glue the chip in!
I recently fitted the Right Click central locking kit. (nice bit of kit)
I transplanted the chip into the nice new key body, there is a proper little compartment to fit the chip in. It didn't look like it needed gluing as it was a snug fit. Few days later I began to have intermittent starting problems. Turned out the chip was rattling around inside the key.
Small blob of hotmelt glue sorted it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts