VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I know it's been covered, but I'm fitting a set of the Ikea Dioder 12v lights. I've just tested them with power from the leisure battery with an on/off switch. At first the blew the 10a fuse but are working on a 15a. Do I need to fit a regulator? If not should I fuse them with a 20a fuse? New to this so really scratching my head, I have read some threads but still no wiser:eek:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
i dont know what youve done but they should only take a couple of amps, recheck your wiring

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure myself what I done to blow the fuse, but I've left them on for a bit and been switching them off/on and there seems to be no problem no working great, but do I need to fit a regulator ?

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
15A !!!! Summat not right there chap !! That's a huge current draw. They should be using less than 1A.

I have no regulator on mine and they are fine.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
A regulator will ensure you have a steady 12v and clean out any peaks from the battery. With the alternator pushing charge the current can go above 12v.

I've got a regulator on mine just to be on the safe side. Worth it for the sake of a tenna.

They shouldn't need a 15A fuse tho1

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
you dont need a regulator if you only use them when stopped, but the first thing i would do (as i said before) is switch them off and checking the wiring, have you cut off the supplied plugs?, 15A down that cable is a sure fire risk, take it to someone who knows what they are doing or you'll have a burnt out van

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the advice, not sure what's gone wrong for them to blow a fuse unless I had them wired wrong the first time, working fine now so do I fit the interior roof?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
working with a 15a fuse, that is wrong, dont ask for advice then stupidly ignore it, what you are doing is unsafe

·
Registered
596 Posts
the ikea colours on the wires are the opposite, the blue/brown are other way around as i wired mine the other way and blew a fuse.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the ikea colours on the wires are the opposite, the blue/brown are other way around as i wired mine the other way and blew a fuse.
You were right checked all wiring couldn't find a fault, changed wires around and no blown fuses and they are working great cheersT:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts