VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to the world of T5 and in desperate need of advice before I buy the wrong thing and have to sell it immediately to pay for the ensuing divorce!

Ideally I need an LWB auto T5 with many of the caravelles features but it seems that the LWB caravelles are as rare as hens teeth and way out of my price range. So Im looking at ways of converting a shuttle or any other suggestions?

Basically Im looking for a comfortable quiet 5 or 6 seat family car that can become a van or weekend vehicle to sleep 4
I also do a lot of mountainbike racing so at least 2 adults need to be able to sleep in the van, with our bikes inside too, for security. I have a budget of £12,500 and the most I have ever spent on a car before is £4000 So I cant tell you how hard its been to persuade my wife to agree to parting with so much money for a my new toy.

In a perfect world this is my shopping list;-
LWB auto diesel. 130 0r 174
Seats on rails to slide backwards and forwards or be easily removed
Windows all round, and with opening window on the sliding doors but manual doors are fine.
Ideally 2 or even better 3 seats in front with driver seat able to rotate round, but is it possible to get either a double passenger seat to also rotate, or remove central passenger seat at front so 2 front seats can spin round?
Decent size folding table ( which im happy to make) so at least 5 can sit round it eating or playing cards etc
Quiet and comfortable on motorways-can I add dynomat beneath shuttle body panels to achieve as good or better sound proofing than caravelle?
pop top roof for additional sleeping

Is it possible to buy and fit caravelle seats and sliders that can become a bed, to a lower spec lwb vehicle, add a pop top roof and do the 40mm lowering etc?
Also is it cost effective or am I better off buying a swb caravelle and losing that extra 400mm of space?
It wont need to seat more than 5 at any one time, but Id like those in the back to be comfortable for long journeys too, and if I can get 5 mountain bike in the back at the same time so much the better
Are there any other features that I have forgotten that I should consider?

Sorry to ask so much of the community within 4 days of joining but I need to but the right van fast before my wife changes her mind and Im condemned to stay in the world of hatchbacks and claustrophobia!!
Thanks and happy new year
:bhd

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hello mate, If you buy a LWB Shuttle you can then get the Caravelle Rails fitted in the back, selling the Shuttle seats (or part ex if using Oxford T5 on here).

I bought a LWB panel van and had it converted, with all the glass and Caravelle rails.

I also MTB and with the seats forward I can seat five and would be able to fit at least five bikes in the back., plus kit.

Have a look at the below link to have a look how it turned out.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=120725

Any questions just ask.

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi campervanhalen welcome to the forum.

on the forum there is a guy called colin who trades as t5 oxford. he also converts vans and has most seat options available he is very good to deal with as is sort seats for my van.

if you need anymore info just ask T:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your van looks fantastic! That looks exactly what I had in mind, but with a pop top added. I will give T5 oxford a call. Nice to know its possible to convert a van. Do you feel youve saved money going this route? Is there anything you would have done differently if you did it again? One other question- the darkened windows look great from the outside, but how does it feel for passengers in the back? Does it feel a little gloomy back there? Regarding the bed, do you put some sort of mattress on top? I Really appreciate your advice and quick response - from a fellow mountain biker too!! Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts