VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a T4 2.4 from 1995 with a gasoline engine. I noticed that over the last 300-400 km of riding I have lost 150-200 ml of antifreeze coolant. A few months ago I had a severe leak due to a ripped tube and this got fixed. Not sure if the leak now is connected to the old leak, but this time is much less severe. I thought of buying one of these stop-leak-liquids, that you just poor with the antifreeze and they seal leaking tubes. But
1.) I am not sure if I really have a leaking tube or maybe fractured head gasket, cylinder head, cylinder bores or similar?
2.) My friend that usually fixes my T4 advised me to not use a stop-leak-liquid, because
a) it might clog my tubes, he said
b) for such an old car he considers it not too bad to lose 200ml/300 km of antifreeze and antifreeze itself is cheap
c) the antifreeze loss might indeed be not due to a ruptured tube, but something else
His advice was just to add a little bit of antifreeze every 100 km or so.

What would you advise me? Have you used stop-leak-liquid on an old T4 and was it of help or harm? Is there an easy way to determine due to what I am loosing antifreeze? Do you have other tips?
If needed I can send pics. Tnx

·
Registered
341 Posts
A few years ago I came across an elderly chap who had broken down on the road outside my house. I went out to see if I could help him and he claimed the engine got slower and stopped running.

I popped the bonnet to feel a furnace of an engine but no sign of cooling fans going. The radiator was stone cold. It turns out he'd used some stop-leak to fix a dribble, and it appeared to have welded his thermostat shut. His engine had overheated big time to the point his pistons had seized in the bores. I left him to a recovery van.

Even if his engine had restarted once it had cooled down the long term damage would have come back to bite him down the line. Don't use stop-leak. Find the source of the leak and fix it. (y)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well.......

Mine developed a weep a while back and I added the cheap, low spec radweld to it.

The weep has now stopped.

Whilst I would be very wary of the more powerful sealing agents that claim to be able to seal a blown head gasket I dont see, and haven't ever had, a problem with the BARS seal or standard Radweld compounds that are designed to seal minor leaks, not "fix" a knackered engine. If it can seal a blown head gasket it can seal your thermostat!

It goes without saying that these things are only intended as a temporary fix, and I will be investigating my coolant manifolds - but I'll be doing it at my convenience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts