VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a t4 to use as a 4/5 seater as well as a van being as i am a joiner by trader.
My main love is bmws mainly e30 but i cant afford to run 3 cars so i want a t4 to play with a little ie probably look like a sportline or something but be able to use it to carry my tools about.
Its main everyday job will get me around and about town to and from work so it has to be relativly economical but not sluggish at the same time.
What would you guys recomend ie what spec, engine etc etc. On looking around ebay, autotrader etc the prices vary widely and some seem to be silly prices compared to a much higher spec and younger vehicle i cant understand it lol.
So guys any advice would be appreciated before i spend my hard earned cash

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Buy a bongo m8, or a vito, I: only jokeing welcome aboard T:

Quality cost money, that means buy a vw .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i appreciate how costly they can be as i said im into bmws and they just keep going up but im after so good advice on which model etc to buy and whats the best engine to go for

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi mate im new on here too and relativley new to t4's id buy now knowing a little more a van from an enthusiast someone on here or one that has been well looked after loads of service history little or no rust no dints theres loads out there just take your time.i rushed mine a bit it costs more when you have to get it all done yourself.i would definatly go for a tdi (not td) 1.9 with a tailgate cheap to run fast enough you can chip them if you want more power but not bad at all only a fith gear problem on the motorways 70 to 80 mph is about max without screamin its balls off 2.4 tdi is more popular if you want more power better gearing less stress on the engine people in the back etc but ive heard are a bit thirsty however i suppose its how you drive if you chill a bit the torque is there and fuel consumption might not be much different.a decent van will cost you 3500 to 4500 id say worth every penny and if you keep it in good order you will never ever lose your money promise good look and remember take your time trust me i learnt the hard wayT:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I've only ever had one T4 and it's the one I have now. Strangely enough it's 6 years old (to me as owner) this weekend.
It's a 2.5 TDi, 1998 R-reg and was just a standard red panel van.
It's my daily drive and has never let me down. Had 2 or 3 wear and tear things happen to it but nothing serious.
I should reach the 200,000 mile mark in April.
It will still get itself up to 90 if I hammer it, but will quite happily cruise along at 75mph. It is thirsrty though doing that so I keep it sensible between 55 - 60.
I've managed to get just short of 750 miles from the fuel light coming on from full. Cost £99. I reckon I could've made the 800 mile mark if I pushed it a little further.

Personally I'd buy a panel van and add all the mods to it yourself. A blank canvas so to speak and I'm pretty sure a basic panel van will generally be cheaper. There's loads of websites that offer parts for T4's from necessities to shiney bits. Have a look at the sites below for an idea:

www.tidytransporters.co.uk
www.totallyt4.co.uk
www.c-m-c.org.uk

Whatever you get enjoy spending the time kitting it out and doing it up T:T:

By the way, you can hve my reliable shed of a van for £10,000 if you want :D

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I am considering buying a t4 to use as a 4/5 seater as well as a van being as i am a joiner by trader.
My main love is bmws mainly e30 but i cant afford to run 3 cars so i want a t4 to play with a little ie probably look like a sportline or something but be able to use it to carry my tools about.
Its main everyday job will get me around and about town to and from work so it has to be relativly economical but not sluggish at the same time.
What would you guys recomend ie what spec, engine etc etc. On looking around ebay, autotrader etc the prices vary widely and some seem to be silly prices compared to a much higher spec and younger vehicle i cant understand it lol.
So guys any advice would be appreciated before i spend my hard earned cash
hey Jon you need to get down to our next meet on tuesday over in checkley at the new broom and we can discus how to empty you wallet over a beer :ILU:

check out all the info in my sig you can also email me and i'll add you to our list.

check out the meet at carsington water on sat 19th as well T:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts