VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent a load of photos of my T5 to the dvla, and asked to change the type to Motor Caravan. Just under 2 weeks later and the V5C has come back, the Body Type is now MOTOR CARAVAN. The vehicle category is still N1 and taxation class is Light Goods Vehicle.

I thought the vehicle category would become M1?!

Am I now a proper motor home and I can go faster on the A roads now...? That's what I thought but still not sure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I believe the vehicle category (N1) is the ruling factor, i.e no nothing will have changed regarding your speed rerstrictions.
They will still be 50/60/70 (single/dual/motorway)

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
without going to a public weighbridge what does the standard swb t5 fully converted camper weigh? and do they mean 3050kg including everything that is in the vehicle when you get pulled over, Thanks

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
ok so ours is a T28 = 2800kg?......so what about the conversion, does that count or do they just go on the manufacture stats? ta

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
An empty T5 is 2000-2100kg ballpark unladen. It can then carry a futher 800-1200kg as a payload.

A camper conversion will weigh 300-400kg tops. There's no WAAAAYYYYY a T5 camper will ever tip the scales at greater than 3050kg unladen. It would have to be a T32 and then it could only carry the driver and one light passenger with no luggage.

Motorcaravan = car speed limits

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
An empty T5 is 2000-2100kg ballpark unladen. It can then carry a futher 800-1200kg as a payload.

A camper conversion will weigh 300-400kg tops. There's no WAAAAYYYYY a T5 camper will ever tip the scales at greater than 3050kg unladen. It would have to be a T32 and then it could only carry the driver and one light passenger with no luggage.

Motorcaravan = car speed limits
Unless it's a Cali which weighs more than an oil tanker...LOL:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
It's still heavier!

As Bobley says, about 2600kgs for our 4Motion 180 (manual). Less than a Discovery but still VERY FLAMING HEAVY! No wonder I seem to be seriously struggling to get even 28mpg...:eek:
Not than the tanker Rasp:
Anways, with all the kit etc, what did U honestly expect?
As for the Disco3 sitting infront of the house currently it has not convinced me one bit on twisty roads, however great on iceI:

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
Not than the tanker Rasp:
Anways, with all the kit etc, what did U honestly expect?
As for the Disco3 sitting infront of the house currently it has not convinced me one bit on twisty roads, however great on iceI:

Not tried ours on ice yet but it's flipping good on mud and wet grass - breezed past stuck vehicles a few times now. But also not really a road rocket although it hides it's weight quite well.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Took mine to the DVLA (SWB T5) weighed in at 2020kg.

Standard vohringer side conversion with cannons forge bed. Revenue weight now shows as this on the V5. Only really matters for the congestion charge in the London area.

The payload was shown initially as 2800kg (t28) in the revenue weight section, the revenue weight according to the DVLA should be the weight of the vehicle as it rolls off the production line.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts