VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been blinking back the tears while trying to price up the job of swapping my passenger bench for a captain's chair. Surely this scam is the next PPI?! "Have you or a member of your family been affected by the high cost of van parts? We are waiting for your call" etc etc

A friend suggested importing a driver seat from Germany and using that but didn't have specific details although knows it has been done. Any thoughts/ experience of this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yep we all have the same problem, especially with seats.

I would say, you will get a nicer seat from a car such as VW Golf for example and then make up some brackets to covert for the T5 (@Pduk did a really nice job). You will only need to buy the base which seem to be around £70. It's also considerably cheaper as T5 parts are ridiculously priced.

In answer to your question though, the handbrake is fitted to the seat base so you'd have to remove that at least, so not without peril. There may be other things to consider too.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
If you got a passenger seat base rather than a drivers then it wouldnt have the handbrake mount on it .
Our passenger seat base came from poland and fits perfectly, the only other difference is that ours has storage/ pocket on the side which would normally be adjacent the door but its alongside the handbrake area now instead. ...doesnt get in the way and is really quite handy .

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
I bought a LHD captain drivers seat from Poland, they must laugh all the way to the bank at what we'll pay over here. The headrest was a bit smaller than the original, I just used one from the bench seat. The base came from Scotland so no problem there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a LHD captain drivers seat from Poland, they must laugh all the way to the bank at what we'll pay over here. The headrest was a bit smaller than the original, I just used one from the bench seat. The base came from Scotland so no problem there.
So you have details on where you bought in Poland please, website address?

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
This is the company who advertise on ebay. I got my german drivers seat from them 12 years ago! Headrest was different so had to nab one off the old bench seat. I didn't buy the base as I got a Reimo/Sportcraft swivel with a safe in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts