VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little tale if you are thinking of importing a van from europe.

I popped down to my local DVLA at Chester (one of the better ones i'm told) today to register and tax my recently imported T4. It is over ten yeats old and therefore needs no "type approval".
I had all the documentation with me including an MOT and insurance and all the forms completed.
Part way through the paperwork the nice lady informed me that I couldn't register my vehicle as the milage on the MOT was listed in km and not miles. She went on to suggest that as the listed milage was in km then it was likely that i would need a new speedo that would tell me the correct distance reading in miles. After some confusion (it was the first i had heard of this) she suggested that i return to the MOT garage to see if they could give me an MOT in miles or a covering letter confirming the milage and that the van had been altered to show distance covered in miles. An alternative would be for me to bring the van in for an inspection, but that this was not possible as it was not road legal (the german plates having expired).
After several hours of driving (DVLA and the MOT garage are an hour apart each way) and several phone calls i discovered that she was talking a load of nonsense.

The mechanic confirmed that a. he wouldn't have given it an MOT in the first place if it didn't correctly show MPH (i had converted the speedo face) and that b. he couldn't possibly issue another MOT as he could only state on the form what he could see in the cab.
I phoned DVLA, DFT and VCA who all confirmed that there was no such rule and that section 35 of the Road vehicle construction and use legislation 1986 only refers to speedos and not odometers.

I returned to the DVLA with a letter from the garage confirming that the van "clearly and accurately shows speed in MPH" (again clearly not needed as it has a valid MOT) and after a little umming and ahhing and a visit from a supervisor they stamped my form.

They them confirmed that they had had a recent directive from DVLA head office and that they may have "over-interpretted" it's meaning and that perhaps they were causing a lot of "extra work" for people looking to import a vehicle.

Be vary of my tale and be armed with the facts if you are considering doing the same.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
When the raft of Jap imports started coming over in the 90's, I got involved with making calibrated speedo faces with Lockwood, as it was a requirement of the SVA test to have an accurate MPH speedo.

Many of these vehicles were restricted to 110mph so the UK speedos couldn't be interchanged. However, the odometer's still read in Km's...

... which was okay, for the SVA test and MOT.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Ben98,

I am having the same problem. Where did you get the new face for the speedo? Does it work just to get one from a scrap yard and change it?

Thanks
J

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
This really worries me, as we place our trust in these departments to ensure that we are able to drive our beloved vehicles legally.

It would appear that the left hand does not know what the right is doing.

10 out of 10 for preservereing and getting it sorted.

At least you can now enjoy your purchase safe in the knowledge that you have proven them wrong.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My Type 2 Westy Was Imported From Germany,
Its In Km On The Speedo Never Had Any Probblems At Dvla Or The Mot Station,

I Dont No If The Rules Are Dffernt For Classic Car's,:ilu:

·
Registered
61 Posts
My california was imported from germany by the previous owner and the speedo still reads in KPH. I've had no problems with the mot. I have heard a few tales of the police stopping lhd vehicles and checking that the speedo read in mph, i guess you could get done.... I haven't come across anybody it's happened to though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On my MOT the guy wrote km after the mileage which means now the DVLA say they need to see the vehicle and check it has the speedo in km/h to register it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've not had any problems with my kph only speedo when it was mot'd the tester has the option on his computer to select miles or kilometres. i belive all vehicles with tacographs are in kilometers.
However I have just got a new mph speedo from ebay, so my van has 60 miles on the clock now instead of 256,000 kilometres :D

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
my car still read's in kph and been though 3 mot's wthout any bother .

i changed it on the gearbox so it is actualy reading in mph but for instance if i am doing 60mph it will show am actualy doing 60kph

a mate did this for me but forgot to tell me he did it , copper was alright when he caught be doing over 100mph LOL: explained the situation and even took is senior officer in the car so they could check it out for themself .

think they was more intrested in car to be honest than the speed i was doing LOL:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Never, ever, trust a word from the DVLA.
They are the reason I didn't buy the motorcycle I was looking at back in 2000.
Admittedly I hadn't looked too closely at a replacement driving licence they'd sent me a year prviously, following a change of address.
They had omitted my m/c entitlement, and my car entitlement, although the licence did allow me to provisionally drive trucks, the date from which that entitlement started was from my car test pass in 1987.
I wrote to them and they sent me a new licence with my car test on it...Still no bike. Rang 'em up, wrote to them and they still refused point blank to reissue with the bike entitlement for the test I'd passed in 1979. Apparently it's up to me to prove to the secretary of state for transport that I ever held a bike licence and, no, a copy of my 1981 Norwich Union rider policy aint proof...:c ers.

They're the only people you send the test pass certificate to :confused:

Excuse me.I:
Rant over, nice cup o tea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts