VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Its fine, but will only relay the existing wifi signal. and if there is wifi on the outside of the van from somewhere else then there will be wifi in the van. As an IT consultant I personally dont see how this would be any help. What happens when you park at a campsite and there is no WiFi? Also the fact that it hides the SSID for your internal network if fairly pointless. Sorry to be down on it, but dont want anyone to waste money! If the signal is poor between the source and your van, this device wont magically make it any stronger. It will simply give you a strong signal from your laptop to it. The signal between the source and this antenna, will still be poor. If you think about it, how can it possibly boost the signal from somebodys cruddy home router? Hope that helps.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not used this system but...
The system will give you a 'better than the one in the lid of your laptop' antenna that you mount on the outside of your van, ideally visible above the roofline so it's more likely to catch some signal from the local WIFI provider (campsite, coffee shop, unsecured network of some local household etc). Perhaps even have it on some sort of movable pole so you can find a decent signal (ever had to put your ear against a window to make a mobile phone call).
Also you should see a better connection through the provided external antenna as your iThing/Laptop/whatever may well be inside the van and radio signals dont like metal boxes, but it won't magic up a WIFI network where there's none.
It'll give you a list of whatever networks it can see in it's web interface and connect one that you select to it's own private network, it makes one connection to the local WIFI and provides as many connections as you need for your own devices. The first of your devices to try to get Internet will get the local WIFI's 'click here to accept the terms, pay through the nose etc' prompts but once you've fulfilled the terms it means that if you have to pay you pay once, but can connect multiple.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you put your old iphone on the roof and enable personal hotspot, possibly it will serve the same function A:
But if this aerial really provides some benefits and does improve connection or creates connection where other devices won't Maybe it's worth it, bad connections are a pain

·
Registered
263 Posts
you can get wifi routers that have 2 wan ports inc usb, so you can stick a 3G dongle in, and use WiFi when theres a signal or 3G when there isnt. You can then take it home and stick it there so its not wasted. Replace the crappy one your ISP send you. The Draytek Vigor range are good bits of kit.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Its fine, but will only relay the existing wifi signal. and if there is wifi on the outside of the van from somewhere else then there will be wifi in the van. As an IT consultant I personally dont see how this would be any help. What happens when you park at a campsite and there is no WiFi? Also the fact that it hides the SSID for your internal network if fairly pointless. Sorry to be down on it, but dont want anyone to waste money! If the signal is poor between the source and your van, this device wont magically make it any stronger. It will simply give you a strong signal from your laptop to it. The signal between the source and this antenna, will still be poor. If you think about it, how can it possibly boost the signal from somebodys cruddy home router? Hope that helps.

Eh it wont make it better?? it's a high gain antenna of course it will make it better. the signal from the cruddy router wont be boosted but of course your ability to receive that cruddy signal will be boosted.... it's equivalent to standing closer to the wifi source how cant that make it better. IT consultant.. :eek:

it's not worth the price tho you get lots of external antennas for proper wifi cards/dongles and as for allowing more than 1 device to connect that's nothing special

·
Registered
383 Posts
We have the same system and must say its great T: just got back from a week in St Tropez where we used it, it will find a lot more signals than your laptop or can ever do. We could access free Wifi across the bay which was approx. 1-2 miles and then distribute the signal around the van for our phones - ipad - laptops which without this had no chance of getting a signal T:
Also handy if you connect to the campsites pay wifi as they charge per connection but with this they only see one connection but you can connect as many phones - ipads - laptops as you want T:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the comments and help. I decided to buy the system today. After taking to them on the phone they confirmed what i wanted in the product.

One of the problems i had with antenna boosters was that they were all usb for connecting directly into the laptop, where as a routers only usb ports are normally reserved for network printers and nas drive's. I think?
It would have been a case of finding the right router for the job and then trying to get it to work and networking wouldn't be my strong area :*

The antenna supplied has a cat 5 cable which makes sense to me. Another good thing i liked is that the antenna has a digital signal reading on the back for getting you signal. The girl i was talking to said i can pick up hotspots in some cases upto nearly 2km away. A: All that and the router software supplied seem very user friendly and perfect for what i need.

The price seems high but i think it will be worth it. Will update after my trip to France in 3 weeks!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have heard good reports about this system especially when used with the FON free network across the uk and Europe.

same again though I bet this system is available cheaper elsewhere, unbranded types etc, anyone sees anything let us know on here

Al
SB :db

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Thanks for all the comments and help. I decided to buy the system today. After taking to them on the phone they confirmed what i wanted in the product.

One of the problems i had with antenna boosters was that they were all usb for connecting directly into the laptop, where as a routers only usb ports are normally reserved for network printers and nas drive's. I think?
It would have been a case of finding the right router for the job and then trying to get it to work and networking wouldn't be my strong area :*

The antenna supplied has a cat 5 cable which makes sense to me. Another good thing i liked is that the antenna has a digital signal reading on the back for getting you signal. The girl i was talking to said i can pick up hotspots in some cases upto nearly 2km away. A: All that and the router software supplied seem very user friendly and perfect for what i need.

The price seems high but i think it will be worth it. Will update after my trip to France in 3 weeks!
Was the system worth it?
Thinking about one myself....

·
Registered
126 Posts
I bought one earlier this year and it has proved useful in the UK in areas where there is no 3G coverage for my phone hotspot. It's surprising how far away you can pick up a signal from but it can be a bit fiddly to set up sometimes. I'll be trying it out abroad this summer so will report back when I've seen how it fares across various countries. The thing that pushed me into buying one was the EU's continued faffing around with sorting out the roaming tariffs.

Having said all that, I would argue that my Three contract with all you can eat data is a hell of a lot more useful. You can't tether abroad but it's quite rare nowadays not to be able to get a 3G signal across Europe on at least one network and you can do a lot just with a smartphone.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
ive got one of these and have to say, coupled with a BT Broadband account for the free BTWiFi connections I find it great up in the lakes where cellular coverage can be spotty. I've spent a few nights with the antenna pointed out into the night gloom and been able to stream Netflix from someone's house. :D

I bought a second unit for my parents canal boat which they were using quite happily until recent health issues have caused them to sell, so I've a unit for sale if anyone's interested.

Full motorhomewifi package, boxed with instructions. PM for details.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts