VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect many of you have cottoned onto the latest trends in cold calling:

1) Not using withheld numbers so those with autodialler blocking still get called.
2) 'Hello, can I speak to Mr Dbglkjfhbvfjkbe please?' - the old fake wrong number... you say the old ‘nobody here of that name’ routine, and they proceed to try and flog you their stuff instead.

But.. most random one of all so far - got a call that showed on my mobi' as from Florida! The American cold callers are a whole other breed!!!! Pushy doesn't even come close, had a well rehed clever dick answer for every objection, 'I don't want any, I'm working, I'm not interested' - none of that phased this yank! He spoke at the same rate as a General Electric Minigun, and seemed to generally believe that making my objections and therefore me look foolish was going to somehow endear me toward him and his granite like logic would inexorably funnel me into doing business with him! Financial services in this case... because I'm obviously going to entrust my 'investment portfolio' (if whatever change I can find in the car ashtray is what he meant by that) to complete stranger from the other side of the planet!

On the upside he did ask how I was and wish me a great day... which must have been sincere!

O.k... I do need to buy some things though... oh dear... I guess I'll just have to wait for the phone to ring and for someone sell it to me.

Not putting these people down by the way... we all have to earn a rust etc but surely there is a way of doing these things... making out your potential client is an idiot unless thy buy your wares NOT being gone of them!

Rant over!:D

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
I get loads of these on the business line - they are ususally trained in the 'dont ask a question that can be answered with yes/no' so their opener is : 'how are you today sir ' or variants thereof.

Now you can have some fun..... pick a medical condition & answer by saying something like: ' I'm so glad you called, I've got a terrible pain in my left testicle - what do you think I should do ? stay on topic & only ever answer a question with another question.

If you've got less time, say nothing & just leave the handset off the hook for about 10 mins - that costs them money T:

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have called ID at home and unless I know the number I don't bother answering it.

Sometimes they use a genuine landline and if it's a local code to me I might answer it, but usually hang up before they've finished their first sentence.

We have lots of door to door cold callers in our area. The other month one came round trying to give us free loft insulation. my wife was polite to him and said "We don't qualify for it." Off he trotted. Two minutes later his 'manager' appeared saying "I'm John's manager, and he said you don't qualify for the free loft insulation."

My wife's reply was a belter, "I was trying to be polite, now p**s off!" LOL:

·
Registered
694 Posts
My wife's reply was a belter, "I was trying to be polite, now p**s off!" LOL:
A:

One of my many pet hates. I'm sure most people will already know about the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) and Mailing Preference Service (MPS), but they are worth a mention anyway as registering helps cut down unwanted calls and junk mail:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk

They can't stop junk mail and unwanted calls originating from abroad but registration is free and it does work, in my experience.

I just wish there was a preference service for pushy front door gobs***e canvassers and god botherers Rasp:

Cheers
Shaun

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
There's always the red button. They can't disable that. We used to have a rule that if the number was displayed as private/unavailable/08... etc, then we didn't answer it.

Unfortunately, as I've been in hospital recently, we need to answer the phone in case it's a call from the doctor,nurse or hospital. I did ask them why they don't display their number & both the nurse & the hospital gave me mobile numbers I could use to phone them back & have also subsequently started using those numbers to phone us.

I'm not sure if I told this story on this or another forum but here goes. One example of persistent cold callers is the companies that try to sell you a new kitchen. I used to let them do their spiel & then congratulate them on how good it was.
So good, in fact that although I'd already just had a new kitchen in the er, kitchen, I hated to turn away a good discount so could they fit the kitchen in the spare bedroom?
This confuses them & they ask why I'd want another kitchen in the spare bedroom. I'd tell them that the last caller had given us an equally good deal so we'd had a kitchen put in the garage, so the only spare room left is the back bedroom.

Now, what you have to realise is that they're being monitored while they call and they can't just tell you to sod off. depending on how long you want to wind them up, you can keep this going for quite a while.

I don't know if they keep a database of calls, but, after a while, we almost stopped getting any cold calls at all.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Depending on my mood, I'll either sound a rape alarm down the phone, waste their time, or abuse them by asking for sexual favours.

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
Never give your name or any other details.

Doing that is entering a verbal contract. Known as joinder.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
Never give your name or any other details.

Doing that is entering a verbal contract. Known as joinder.
Nope, sorta..

All phone / internet contracts are formed within DSR (distance selling regulations), you have more protection than you do shopping in the high street ~ you can get out of any contract easily (some exceptions) & there's jack all the seller can do about it, the law is firmly on your side mate T:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations/

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
It is?:confused:

How is that so then chap? How can giving ones name/details be a contract unless that is how it is presented as such and how would string same be a joinder under UK law?T:
By confirming your name and address or by identifying yourself, you have made verbal contact.
This verbal agreement can be used in court.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
By confirming your name and address or by identifying yourself, you have made verbal contact.
This verbal agreement can be used in court.
So when I ask the caller how much he would charge to suck my c0ck, or if his mother would f*** my donkey am I potentially entering into a contract?

I need to be sure, cos if the truth be known, I prefer women and I don't have a donkey anyway. ;).

·
This isn't Facebook you know
7,009 Posts
When they ask for Mr Young I quite simply ask them to wait and go fetch Daniel the youngest mr young who proceeds to talk to them for ages :D

Sometimes Owen has a word or if it's a really pushy caller I let Daisy deal with it by screaming down the phone and believe me that must hurt their ear drums :)

Whatever happens we have a damn good laugh at whoever a turn it is to get rid of the caller LOL:

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
We had calls from the same salesman at the same company for months on end. My wife stupidly gave them information about us that led them to think we had money to invest.

At first, I tried to be nice and explained (truthfully) that my wife was recovering from a serious illness and we had no money and far more important things to worry about, but no joy.

I then resorted to abuse and p155 taking, ridiculing the caller for having a small knob and a losers job that made him a social outcast and a w4nker.

To my surprise, I got a call from another salesman at the same company just weeks later. I Googled the company and sent an email to the Marketing Manager with a thinly veiled threat that if I got another call from them I would turn up at their offices and provide him with some "Corrective Guidance" that he would not forget.

They haven't called back since, which is just as well as I'm not as fit as I used to be. I:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts