VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
GoDesign.me.uk
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgmNc0EDbuM

My van's been out of MOT since December but I've finally found time to replaced the popped number plate bulbs, sort out the oil & filter change I've been meaning to do since autumn & give it a clean out. The last problem standing is the indicator stalk seems to be playing up. You have to push the stalk into position to set the blinkers going but then also apply pressure to keep them going at the right speed otherwise the bulbs dont flash and we either get clicks or none at all...

Any advice? Is it just corrosion on the contacts? How hard is it to get the stalk out?

Thanks in advance! Pt6

Ps happy new year!

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Mine does that! Only on right turns mind. I had mine apart and cleaned all the contacts and it lasted about 6 months but has started doing it again. I didnt have any of the grease that they put on the contacts though so just smeared a little from other places on it, which is why its probably done it again. Its a bit of a faff as you have to take the steering wheel off which means you have to take the airbag out and even having done it several times I still struggle until I finally get the angle right!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You have a TDI engine. If you do the cruise control upgrade (about £70) this will give you a brand new stalk and cruise control. Its a sign.

·
GoDesign.me.uk
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Luckily I don't have any airbags (mines the public sector council grade t4) - do I still have to have the wheel off? How d'ya get the wheel off?

Gonna take the steering column casings off and have a gander :) will report back

·
GoDesign.me.uk
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers t4ff,

Only just got your pm re: steering wheel removal instructions but I managed to get the wheel off AND stripdown/clean the indi stalk, and am pleased to announce its all back together working 100% as it should :D

Glad I took pics of the indicator stalk as I was taking it apart as it kind of sprung open & a spring felt out, then another bit appeared from no where and I got very confused very quickly - but as said its all working as per normal now. Tempted to do a few 'how to' videos for simples stuff like steering wheel removal, now that I can shoot/edit/upload direct from me trusty iPad :D

Thanks for all the help guys

Ps blasted the indicator stalk assembly in wd40 as I didn't have any electrical contact grease lying around.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Haha yeah I realised I had forgot to mention the spring, that's what I had just come back on to say!

·
Registered
56 Posts
yeah defo new stalk needed doddgy contacts n you can spend hours taking them apart only for them to do the same or be worse days/hours later. I need the very earlie type one for mine as think flasher unit etc...all inone unit before my next mot

·
Registered
425 Posts
I got a spare indicator switch after doing the cruise control upgrade if your stuck T:
Hijacking thread a little, sorry.

But, I am having problems with my indicators. Everything else works fine, all lights, full beam, hazards etc, so thinking it is the contacts also.

Any chance of getting info on how to get at the stalk, as it will be a bit of a job for me?

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Dragging up an old thread - Got the Right turn problem; What contact grease should I be using.. I'm getting mixed messages from t'internet.

Can I use copper grease(as in the stuff for bolts, and breaks etc.?
After check and clean, many people do use copper grease it is one of its uses; personally I always prefer to use a good dielectric grease.

Of course the choice is yours, I do use copper grease (copaslip) for other jobs; just find it a bit too messy around electrical connections ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts