VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trust T4 has suddenly developed a habit of cancelling the indicators for no apparent reason. I indicate, then after a few flashes it just stops. No set number of flashes, and it happens even if the steering wheel is kept still. The switch stays in the indicating position, but if I manually cancel and re-indicate they do the same thing. The stalk switch returns to the off position as normal when I turn the wheel. This happens on both sides.

Any ideas of what might be causing this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm, not a common problem then! It's getting worse now. Hazards are OK so I guess it must be something in the (expensive, cruise control) switch gear...

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I fitted a cruise control stalk a few months ago and worked fine now mine doesn't cancel all the time which does my head in I can be round a corner and half way up the road before I catch on and have to knock them off .... And then sometimes if works fine , must be something to do with the cancel mech but if it's broken why does it work sometimes ....

I know the problem I have is the opposite to yours I think you probably have a bit of dirt or something trapped between the cancel mech and the steering wheel take your wheel off and give it a good clean

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd say your problem is likely to be the flasher relay, depending on age it may be built into the hazard switch.
Hazards work fine, so I assume that it;'s not the flasher unit. I'll take the indicator stalk apart when I get a chance and see if I can find anything obvious. I've still got the original stalk so I could swap that back and see if that sorts it out for now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It just got steadily worse and now the hazards don't flash either. Looks like aladins78 was right after all. Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Im having the same problem on my 1.9td. At first they cancelled early after a few flashes, so did the hazards then they stopped working altogether. Hazards burst back into life, but indicators still intermittent, now everything seems ok again. I suspect theres some build up of dust near the stalk connection so Ill give it a blow out just to be sure.

Just out of interest, as an ex motorcyclist one of the first signs of a weak battery would often be indicator malfunctions. At start up of my van this morning it seemed sluggish but fired ok but I noticed the clock and trip distance had reset itself to zero.Ran ok and indicators were fine all day but Im wondering if the indicator issues and clock reset are somehow connected. Could a weak battery cause these problems ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts