VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been out for a drive and noticed that my indicators have stopped working, rather than fiddle about in the dark i looked in the "fuses" thread.
Fuse 17 is turn signals - but next post says 17 is blank:*?
Not actually checked yet but is this a fuse problem or could it be a relay?
All suggestions gratefully received:ILU:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked fuse and it was ok, Hazards are working ok so obviously not bulbs, or even relay.
Any other ideas, could it be the stalk switch.:*

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey, I seem to be having a similar problem.

Took the instrument cluster out today to address the common voltage regulator issue as my fuel gauge doesn't work and I have a constant glow plug light on.

Put it all back in again and although the cleaning and re-soldering of the circuit board hasn't fixed the initial problem, it now seems that the indicators are only working intermittently. They'd stopped, we fiddled with the connector and bit, they started again, then stopped, and now they're working but we haven't put the plastic casing back on yet as they don't seem to like it. Every time the hazards were ok.

Any ideas?!

It looks like we're going to have to seriously address the wiring because someone's put central locking and an alarm in it, and it looks like it's been a pretty shoddy job. But then we run a tech company so electronics is our thing - but there are wires hanging out everywhere, and some are even just taped together which looks a bit mad to be honest.

Although we do electronics, we haven't done any vehicles before, so any advice/suggestions/help/experiences would be massively appreciated!

Cheers

Kat

·
Registered
192 Posts
My hazards are fine, the fuse is fine and the main beam is still fine. Im not convinced its the stalk but i have not investigated further yet. :confused:

·
Registered
192 Posts
So even though the hazard lights are working fine, you reckon disconnecting the switch and cleaning up the contacts worked for
you? :confused:

·
Registered
399 Posts
So even though the hazard lights are working fine, you reckon disconnecting the switch and cleaning up the contacts worked for
you? :confused:
Sure did, mine was after I resprayed the dash (removal) and then nothing. Did what described and bingo

·
Registered
192 Posts
LOL:

So i was not convinced it was the stalk or the hazard switch contacts. So i double checked all the fuses and they are all good. But there was 2 empties when there should be only 1. So i counted through and 17 was empty.

LOL:

·
Registered
399 Posts
LOL:

So i was not convinced it was the stalk or the hazard switch contacts. So i double checked all the fuses and they are all good. But there was 2 empties when there should be only 1. So i counted through and 17 was empty.

LOL:
How were they working before then ? :*

·
Registered
120 Posts
Think we've narrowed my indicator issue down to the electrics. Someone's bunged an alarm in there and it looks like they've stuck it right on top of the indicators in a pretty slapdash job.

Took the stalk out and cleaned al the contacts etc. but was still getting the intermittent problem. It's happening now but when I wiggle around in the fuse box they come back on - so I'm pretty confident it's electrics. Going to re-do the whole lot because it looks like a jungle in there :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have same problemcame back from the new forest all working fine stopped at services at fleet,got back in no indicators no blower and the abs light is on the dash had to drive home no idicators PLEASE HELP:confused:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't know what the cause is of your problem - but if mine stop working I basically give the fuse box a bit of a whack or a wiggle and they all come on again! It's a temporary fix as my electrics need sorting out, my wiring is like an electric jungle. have you checked your wiring? I hadn't had my van long and made the mistake of not looking in the fuse box when I bought her - if I'd have looked I probably wouldn't have got her! But luckily my fella's an electronic engineer so it shouldn't (fingers crossed) be too much of an issue to sort out, it's just a case of finding the time.

Sorry can't be of more help!

·
Registered
120 Posts
i have same problemcame back from the new forest all working fine stopped at services at fleet,got back in no indicators no blower and the abs light is on the dash had to drive home no idicators PLEASE HELP:confused:
Reading back it sounds like this could be a fuse or something. These could all be on the same circuit and if you've lost them all at once, it sounds like it could be a fuse. You could test the continuity across the fuses with a multimeter.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone, im a newbie to the site and t4,s so please excuse me if im revisiting an issue im sorry ! anyway indicator problems ? i have a 1996 t4 and both right and left hand sides come on but stay stuck on (ie; dont flash) but my hazzards work and flash perfectly well ? i assume there is a relay for both indicators and hazzards so it must be ok ? (or is it ?) by reading many posts i havent found anyone with the same issue but only similar ones but it looks like it could be the indicator stalk at fault ? can anyone help ????? thanks Mikey

1 - 20 of 22 Posts