VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not quite sure which bit is the problem?
2001 T4, no airbag. The sticking out bit on the steering wheel lines up with the white switch inside the column but the two are obviously not connecting at all to cancel the indicators. When i operate the white plastic switch with a small screwdriver it works to cancel the indicator. With the steering wheel on it just doesn't make the connection.
I cant work out whether it is a worn bit on the steering wheel, a worn out plastic switch thing or something else.
Anybody know which is the most likely culprit?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Can we assume U still have the original steering wheel fitted?
This issue is not unheard of when fitting aftermarked steeringwheels with assosiated hub:*
Is steering wheel maybe not bottomed all down for some reason?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've sorted this tonight. strange one though. It is the standard steering wheel but the problem was that the centre metal spline in the wheel has been moulded slightly off centre. The result is that the horn ring with the indicator cancelling bit sticking out that is held in position by the moulding is also off centre. This was causing the cancelling bit on the horn ring to pass inside the white switch as it turned.
I've spaced out the hornring at one side with a small piece of rubber to centre it up and all is good. Looks like a bad steering wheel moulding from the factory to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts