VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying an M reg t4, it says in the add that the ceankshaft pulley is worn. It runs but noisy if I replace the pulley would this be a good buy? Anything else I need to look at doing at the same time?
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
It would be only be a good buy at the right price, you dont say how much. A worn crank pulley will usually mean the crank is not repairable and best avoided unless you are an experienced mechanic and or have engineering facilities to repair the crank nose. It would normally be more economic to replace the engine than repair the crank. search on here for peoples nightmares with this scenario.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The van is on eBay at 675 last time I checked. I am a mechanic by trade so could fix it, did think about engine replacement

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had a quick look at repairs, I've read that the pulley is the same as the Landrover td5 and BMW with the rubber coupling that brake up and cause it to chatter. On these engines it's just a case of replacing the pulley was hoping if I win the bidding it would of been that easy lol

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
If it is the 1.9 ABl engine; yes the outer pulley with the damper can fail and that is easy to remedy. The bigger problem is the toothed pulley behind which the cambelt runs on; the key way can fail leading this pulley to turn, damaging the crank and putting the timing out with sometimes catostrophic damage. As I said above you then need to repair the crank nose or replace.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice, the van finishes in a day or so, so I'll have think about bidding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts