VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've just changed my cam & injection pump belts following the guide on here and Haynes manual. The van now won't start even though all the markings line up.

I'm going to have a fiddle with the injection pump timing

Any other ideas?

I have vcds or vagcom but have not used it before so where do I need to go to find the injection pump timing values? 55 is what I'm aiming for but 55 what's and where?

Cheers

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,124 Posts
You need the VCDS registered (99$) to do the timing.

Engine block 1
Basic settings
Timing graph
Select engine type

Then you get a graph of where the timing is.

Search on here...Pendle did a write up of how to do it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great thanks mate I've found it.

Next stupid question how do I know what my engine code is? AUF AUX ABC????

It's 2001 2.5tdi 88bhp

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,124 Posts
One problem you will have......engine needs to be RUNNING!

I've been advised by 3 separate "people in the know", NOT to use EasyStart, but buy some Silicone Dash Polish!
I know, sounds silly, but it's cheaper AND gives a little lubrication on 1st start-up.

Don't use it too often, as it can coat the MAF sensor...but to get the motor started works well.
You need 2 people though...one to squirt into the filter, and one to crank.

Sorted MY problem out, eventually.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,124 Posts
Take the battery to local tyre fitter and pump it up before anything else LOL:

Seriously, give it a god 24 hour charge, otherwise VCDS may throw a "wobbly".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It jumped into life with a squirt of GT85! But I need "an assistant " really as it conked out immediately.

Is this normal though for a pump that's a little out of time? The thing is it can't be that far out as the marks line up.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
The pump timing Mark is TDC but the pump needs manually setting from this start point using a dial gauge.
Then it should run.
Adjust via slipping belt via tensioner and idler pulley.
It needs to be very close to run.
Check you turned pump pulley the right direction.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,124 Posts
Not sure about using GT85.....too MUCH lubricant!

I did use a whole can of "dash polish" on mine (yeah, 2 people required) before I got the timing close enough to start without it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep tried that as per Haynes manual but still nothing. It jumps into life with a squirt down the air filter but gives up as soon as you stop.

Seems to be to much trial and error with this timing it's a pain in the

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got it going!

Adjusting the timing on the sprocket is a pain though the adjustment required is fractions of a millimetre. Vcds keeps telling me timing is to retarded for the graph or with a tiny adjustment its at +255 when aiming for +55. And boy is there a lot of smoke!

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I found it but I'm not putting my hands near the belt with it running so have been undoing/ redoing sprocket. No joy I've given up I'm gonna get a garage to time it for me. There's so much trial and more error it's ridiculous.

To top it off my leaking crankshaft sel which I replaced is leaking worse than before!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts