VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has installed the Waeco CRP-40 Fridge in there van with the compressor detacted from the fridge.

I have remounted the compressor in a cupboard on the orginal fixing, nice and secure. Now that the compressor is removed the fridge is a little light and I am wondering how others have fixing the frdige to the van/cupboards to stop it moving while drivign around.

My first thoughts is to fix a couple of brackets to the top of the fridge then to the cupboards each side, short screws will be used before anyone mentions it!!!!!.

Has anyone fixed it in other ways?

Robin.

·
Cornwall Massive
2,838 Posts
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has installed the Waeco CRP-40 Fridge in there van with the compressor detacted from the fridge.

I have remounted the compressor in a cupboard on the orginal fixing, nice and secure. Now that the compressor is removed the fridge is a little light and I am wondering how others have fixing the frdige to the van/cupboards to stop it moving while drivign around.

My first thoughts is to fix a couple of brackets to the top of the fridge then to the cupboards each side, short screws will be used before anyone mentions it!!!!!.

Has anyone fixed it in other ways?

Robin.
I've been looing at this fridge for the next bus... it's only about 12" deep without the compressor, right? I want a wider bed, and if money is there, the removable 333 Reimo Cityvan bed, and wondered if it'll clear one of these when the compressor is located elsewhere... :cool:

What about sikaflex? It's automotive gripfill... :ILU:

·
Registered
543 Posts
i'm just doing mine tonight - well, have been. got to finish it tomorrow.

having a nightmare with thr hose though. its hard to bend without crimping/ kinking the exit from the compressor.

how have you fixed the pipe to your van? whathave you done with any spare of the pipe run?

have you managed to do it without kinking the pipe?

burko

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

having a nightmare with thr hose though. its hard to bend without crimping/ kinking the exit from the compressor.

how have you fixed the pipe to your van? whathave you done with any spare of the pipe run?

burko
Well have unwound the pipework the other day and I think we have managed to avoid doing any damage to it. Had to go slowly and a little at a time.

I have yet to fix the pipework to the van/cupboard and mostlikely will not as its not a great length and is supported by the notches in the cupboards.

When fitting the compressor to its final location in my van I have managed to do this with only the necessary pipework, with the remaining still coiled on top of the compressor as it came.

So fingres crossed that its still in working order, I have only just got the electrics in the van so have not had time to turn it on for any length of time to ensure that I have a fridge rather any a warm white storage box!!!!!!

Will post a build thread soon with pics of fridge installation.

·
Registered
844 Posts

burko
Burko, you bought a fridge. Can you remove the pipe off the compressor (mines still in the cabinet)? If it comes off, use a pipe bender spring (pipe goes inside the spring) to shape the pipe.

Are you going to Mumfy's shindig.
Catch you laters

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well please to say that my fridge install is finished and fully tested and still working. Nice and cold in there now.

The pipes do not come of the compressor and are fully insulated so all you can do is to move slowly unwinding the pipework either with an extra pair of hands to support the weight while you are straighting the pipework or a surface to rest the compressor on.

Have fixed the fridge to the cupboard either side with a couple of blocks that apply press to the top to keep in place and stop it tipping forward. Will see how it works on the first time we take the van out.

·
Registered
543 Posts
robert -

got mine in as well - didnt kink it as I thought i'd done. all works fine - v cool even on low.

I swapped the door over on mine and used a spare bolt hole and a spare bolt from the grey top front latch cover to screw a B&Q L shaped bracket to and screwed this to the units. I used the same angle brackets at the bottom either side of the unit and at the back top but didnt screw into the fridge - just pressed up against the top/ side. all in, v secure.

the compressor was a bitch to screw to the side of the units... difficult to get to the 4 screw holes for side mounting. all done now though.... never again but a great fridge to fit in a small space - gotta be the best bet if you go for ikea cabinets.

oh - if anyone else is after one I got mine from Grassroutes leisure mail order delivered from stock in 2 working days for £460 (including vat) and only £7.95 delivery.... that was £100 cheaper than anywhere else and about a quarter of the delivery price, not to mention 2 days instead of 3 weeks wait....

will - good to catch up with everyone after on sat at mumfs do. we'll ahve to make a bit more effort to get out and about and meet up in the vans. you're always welcome to pop down here for the weekend whenever you fancy it....

r

·
Registered
278 Posts
i tried to phone grassroutes and they would not accept my application, saying you had to be a trader, the women on the phone was pretty rude too - almost suggesting i was some sort of idiot for not knowing i had to be a trader!

·
Registered
543 Posts
i nearly didn't ring them as i'd heard that was the case. in the end I was going to bu from another company for about £100 more and thought i ought to at least try...

i rang and they didnt even ask. just gave me a (very good) price over the phone, apologised as the delivery was going to be £7.50 (which was a bargain for 2 working days) and said it would be there on monday (which it was). I sort of couldn't believe it and almost was expecting them to ring back to say it was a mistake but it arrived on time and was as described....

like I said, it's in now and no dramas....

·
Registered
659 Posts
Im not sure you can make them out in the pics but I made two small metal brackets to hold the fridge and it has a piece of thin foam wedged down both sides to stop it moving or rattling. seems to work well, remember to add a little ventilation to the area where the compressor is as it gets quite hot and will work better when ventilated a little.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Im not sure you can make them out in the pics but I made two small metal brackets to hold the fridge and it has a piece of thin foam wedged down both sides to stop it moving or rattling. seems to work well, remember to add a little ventilation to the area where the compressor is as it gets quite hot and will work better when ventilated a little.
ive done a dummy run with my fridge and worktop and units, and am going to move the lot out to have more storage space in my units, so i will have space behind the fridge now,
cheers for the info monkeyT:

·
Registered
160 Posts
hi was just reading the thread for some tips on fitting the frigde when i read about grassruote leisure, i would be warey of buying from them as i purchased a smev combi 8123 and single tap. when i received them the tap was not what i asked for and the sink was all scratched and covered in glue so i rang them where i was spoken to by a rude woman also, i was polite and just explained how i had received my items, she said she would get the manager to ring me, this was on a friday morning so saturday i rang again and rang and rang and but no answer, on the tuesday spoke to same women who said again i'll get the manager to ring you back and when mark the manager did he said he was very busy dealing with people LIKE me! all i had ever stated was how i received my item and thats how he started the conversation so he said he would ring me back. when he did he said i could sent them back minus 20percent fee! then i wasn't happy :mad:, i was told to like it or lump it basically, his exact words were to take him to court if i think i can afford it!:eek: how rude?! so with no choice i've had to keep the sink/hob, i asked him if i could send the tap back as that was a direct error on their part, he agreed, i sent it last week and suprise suprise he claims not to have received it so i think that's 35 quid i'm not going to see again!
after all that just beware!
i did get my waeco fridge inc frame from somewhere else which was alot friendly and cheaper too, it was from mailspeeddirect and it cost £446 inc delivery, they said it'd be 3 days but it came next day! T:

·
Registered
278 Posts
funny that i must have spoke to the very same rude women. I phoned them a couple of weeks ago to try and open an account.

she said "oh no you cant do that, we are a trade only company" but it was the way she said it - like i was stupid or something:mad:

anyway, i wont be shopping with them, even if i could with an attitude like that - also rainbow conversions seeem cheaper tooRasp:

John

oh yes sorry about your misfortune.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Grassroutes leisure are a husband and wife team, as far as I know there is only one other employee, I got my stuff from them direct when they were based near portsmouth and found them fine to deal with direct but I overheard phone conversations every time I was there and they did seem very rude to phone customers, especially ones with a complaint to make. It seems depending on which day you catch them on whether they will deal with the general public or not, I spent about £1000 in one hit (fridge, hob ,sink, vohringer ply) and they didnt seem to mind dealing with a member of the public on that occasion!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts