VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My instrument panel has always been temperamental, symptoms being; oil warning light flashing randomly, temp light flashing, fuel gauge not very reliable, speedo not woking and dash lights have a mind of their own. I have been 'fixing' all of the above by smacking the top right of the dash lightly, this usually sorts it out and all dials start to work again. This fix has gradually stopped fixing it and now stopped fixing the problem and the display shows no read outs, except the digital millage is ok.

i have seen this article http://www.1946vw.co.uk/vwbooks/vw_info/t4_gauges.htm about resoldering the joints, but it states its for the analog milage ones. I've been chasing all day and cannot find a replacement one, new one is £320 exchange!

so questions are;
will the above solder fix the issue?
anyone know of somebody who can fix it for me?
or anyone have a replacement for sale?
any other ideas?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My instrument panel has always been temperamental, symptoms being; oil warning light flashing randomly, temp light flashing, fuel gauge not very reliable, speedo not woking and dash lights have a mind of their own. I have been 'fixing' all of the above by smacking the top right of the dash lightly, this usually sorts it out and all dials start to work again. This fix has gradually stopped fixing it and now stopped fixing the problem and the display shows no read outs, except the digital millage is ok.

i have seen this article http://www.1946vw.co.uk/vwbooks/vw_info/t4_gauges.htm about resoldering the joints, but it states its for the analog milage ones. I've been chasing all day and cannot find a replacement one, new one is £320 exchange!

so questions are;
will the above solder fix the issue?
anyone know of somebody who can fix it for me?
or anyone have a replacement for sale?
any other ideas?

Any help appreciated.
Sounds like you either have a problem with the earth circuit or something shorting to it.
A visual inspection will be needed to save yourself going down a rabbit hole mate.
My first point of call would be to find out where the earth is connected to the van in that area.
Check that that is OK first. Someone with Elsawin should be able to help you pinpoint where that is.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If your not happy with soldering yourself and If you cover the postage both ways, we will gladly rework all the joints for you.

We have very high end soldering and rework equipment and know how to use it :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well done Mac-man for posting the link to solve the problems with the fuel and temperature gauges. A very detailed description and step by step guide to solving the problem. I moved to Australia and brought my T4 with me......its getting warm here now as summer is on its way ( 36 degrees today) well the temp warning light started flashing a couple of weeks ago, the temperature started to read 110 degrees i thought it was due to having hot days until the fuel gauge started to give false readings. After reading the link you put on ..i am now more than confident in solving the problem. Cheers A:T:

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,510 Posts
There's also, what I suspect, is a problem with the weight of the loom connected on later dashes.

Mine started playing up with fuel guage....just went to empty....but no warning buzzer/light.
Then it was working and the low fuel light/buzzer went off....

Took it all out, checked the joints (soldered up a few "iffy" ones) and all was well for 8 months.
Then we had a warm summer....fault came back!
Panel out, no signs of anything.
Back in and all worked....for 5 days until the sun came out again (I park facing south, so it's on the front of the van).

Hand under the dash and pushed the loom up....all worked!

This has been going on for 3 years now.....it's just a pain removing the panel, pulling the loom up, and putting it back together each year (yeah, I have tried to add extra support for the loom, but there's not much space/free cable.)

Every year I drive through Europe, the fuel guage stops working at some point....so now I just make sure I brim the tank every 900km. (2.5 TDi Auto)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
came to this forum for this subject and stripped the clocks to re- solder but found nothing wrong. Then I noticed the gauges are push fit into the circuit bord and found the spring connectors on the bord to have aged and lost the spring connection. A quick clamping with needle nosed pliers and the clocks are a healthy tight push fit now. This solved the problem of no temp and fuel gage for me.
Hope this helps someone.
Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts