VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,

i have found a purple wire loose behind my fuse box,

i have traced it to go to the wiring loom that connects to the rihght hand side of the instrument, behind the speedo not the rev
counter

my van is a v reg 2.5 tdi 88 bhp blue i

the colour of the plug oon the back of the instrument panel is green and has a little purple swing arm to release it.

ok,

i disconnected the plug

i have checked continuity between the plug and th eother end of the wire (losse behind the fuse box)

the loose end has a small spade connector on it

i assume it needs to go into one of the plugs in the fuse box,

which one tho lol

i have vcds and i am getting a missing message error on the instruments

so it kinda all ties in

if someone can help me identify where the wire goes that would be great

hope to hear from someone soon

cheers
Adie

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If I remember correctly, the purple wire from the green connector is the ambient temp sensor wire. This comes from a grey 4 pin connector.
hi

thanks for the post buddy

i am away from the van now but will look tomorrow for a grey plug

i take it its a grey plug that goes onto the fuse box somewhere

dont spose u no the colour of the other wires going into the 4 pin plug, will make it easyier to find

how many grey plugs are there and is it a dark or light grey

sorry for all the questions

thanks again

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'm on my way back home so I'm not 100% and can't get to the van, but there should only be one grey 4 pin connector (i recall it being a light grey). I can't remember the colours of the other wires to be honest, I'll check when I get a chance. Do you know the part no. of the wiring harness to your clocks? I know that they're all a little different depending on the spec of your van; mine's from an early(ish) 2.5TDi ('99 IIRC). I know I've got my part no. written down somewhere, I'll add it to this post when I find out.

Also, what's the exact message VCDS is chucking out? That might help us get to the bottom of this.

Ta,
Law.

I forgot to ask, do you know which pin on the green connector at the back of the instruments it leads to?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm on my way back home so I'm not 100% and can't get to the van, but there should only be one grey 4 pin connector (i recall it being a light grey). I can't remember the colours of the other wires to be honest, I'll check when I get a chance. Do you know the part no. of the wiring harness to your clocks? I know that they're all a little different depending on the spec of your van; mine's from an early(ish) 2.5TDi ('99 IIRC). I know I've got my part no. written down somewhere, I'll add it to this post when I find out.

Also, what's the exact message VCDS is chucking out? That might help us get to the bottom of this.

Ta,
Law.
hi law

thats all will be great buddy, appreciate ya time

i like a fool did not save the vcds

i will look tomorrow for harness part number and save the vcds reading lol

i think this will solve my flashing water and maybe the oil light

thoughts? when u get home mind lol

thanks again

Adie

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
If it's off the green plug, I doubt it would be the culprit for the oil light. Both the pressure switch lines are on the blue connector as is the RPM signal.

I wouldn't have thought it would be related to the water light either, that being said see http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=116592. That has links to threads that discuss loads of the water light issues.

Oh yeah, my harness p/n: 7D0 971 051A

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's off the green plug, I doubt it would be the culprit for the oil light. Both the pressure switch lines are on the blue connector as is the RPM signal.

I wouldn't have thought it would be related to the water light either, that being said see http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=116592. That has links to threads that discuss loads of the water light issues.

Oh yeah, my harness p/n: 7D0 971 051A

oh i see, funny u should say that, as the rev counter has stopped working today

yesterday it was working a bit erratic then it settle down and behaved normal

like i said tho, today it doing notihng?

any thoughts on that then buddy

i did disconnect both harness on the clock set and then reconnect them, i also have wiggled them to see if that made a diff to the rev counter

hmmmm....

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd be willing to put money on the fact that the oil light issue is caused by your lack of RPM feed!

Penbryn explains the whole dynamic oil pressure warning system a lot better than I ever could here: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=109439 (I've a lot of clocks related stuff bookmarked!)
cheers

thats a good read,

basically i have not got power from the alternator.

now i only have a blue wire coming form th ealternator so i take it thats it,

do you no how to check i have that feed out the alternator please mate.

i will do a search,

the alternaotr is puttin gout the battery light when i start it up so i am hoping it is charging

thanks again

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can use the measuring blocks of the engine controller to check whether you're getting a signal from the alt. to the ECU.
ok buddy

i will see if i can find out how to do that tomorrow

unless u no which group and block etc

no worries if you dont off the top of ya head i am sure i will sort it

cheers

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can use the measuring blocks of the engine controller to check whether you're getting a signal from the alt. to the ECU.
hi

ok i got rev conter back and no oil warning on (at tick over or over max revs)

i made sucre the instrumjent panel looms were in corerctly and that cured that(for now)

there is the water light still flashing all the time

oh and the pad wear indicator is on

i can not see a grey plug, that plugs into the fuse box, am i looking in the correct place?

oh and the glow plug light was not coming on either but now it is. (something to do with the connections on the intrument panel maybe)

still getting these faults on vcds

VCDS Version: Release 11.11.1
Data version: 20111209

Thursday,05,January,2012,12:37:00:59627

Chassis Type: 7D - VW Transporter
Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 17 18 19 22 25 35 37 56

Mileage: 278850km/173269miles
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Part No: 074 906 018 B
Component: 2,5l R5 EDC 0000SG 2519
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 02760
VCID: 152466746F9AB61

1 Fault Found:
18062 - Please check DTC Memory of Instrument Cluster
P1654 - 35-00 -
Readiness: N/A

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 7D0-920-xx1-17.lbl
Part No: 7D0 920 901 B
Component: T4-KOMBIINSTR. VDO V12
Coding: 01451
Shop #: WSC 00648
VCID: 224E4DA8AED4D19

1 Fault Found:
00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266)
30-00 - Open or Short to Plus

Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.lbl
Part No: 6N0 909 901
Component: Gateway K<->CAN 0001
Coding: 00000
VCID: F0EAF7E0B0B8B39

No fault code found.

Address 25: Immobilizer Labels: 6H0-953-257.lbl
Part No: 6H0 953 257 B
Component: IMMO VWZ3Z0X3028219 V71
Coding: 09600
VCID: 2F68B49CED066C1

No fault code found.

Address 56: Radio Labels: 1J0-035-15x-56.lbl
Part No: 7D0 035 152
Component: Radio 0001
Coding: 00000
Shop #: WSC 02743
VCID: DBB0B04C493E201

No fault code found.

End ---------------------------------------------------------------------

i then went into instruments and did a scan

Thursday,05,January,2012,12:38:44:59627

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 7D0-920-xx1-17.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 7D0 920 901 B
Component and/or Version: T4-KOMBIINSTR. VDO V12
Software Coding: 01451
Work Shop Code: WSC 00648
VCID: 224E4DA8AED4D19
Fault Codes have been Erased

1 Fault Found:
00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266)
30-00 - Open or Short to Plus

then i went into ebgine and did a can

Thursday,05,January,2012,12:39:55:59627

Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Control Module Part Number: 074 906 018 B
Component and/or Version: 2,5l R5 EDC 0000SG 2519
Software Coding: 00002
Work Shop Code: WSC 02760
VCID: 152466746F9AB61
1 Fault Found:

18062 - Please check DTC Memory of Instrument Cluster
P1654 - 35-00 -

Readiness: N/A

hope u can help

cheers
Adie

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
On my harness, the grey connector didn't plug into the fuse box, it looks as if something plugs into it, more of a 4 pin socket. Where it goes, I'm not too sure as I'm running a 1z lump and had nothing to go into it. As for the brake pad wear, that's from pin 7 on the green connector and again has it's own connector at the fusebox end of the harness. Again, I have no brakepad wear sender, so I've grounded that pin. Had it come from one of the fusebox plugs, I wouldn't have thought there would be a flat connector on the end

As for the oil code, There's a chance that your oil level sensor needs replacing. I believe that the one's located in the sump. Try doing an output test in VCDS http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/out_test.html

Have a look at this: http://www.vwbooks.co.uk/vw_info/T4_pdfs/T4_VDO_Specific_Wiring_Diagrams.pdf. There are no colour codes unfortunately, but the oil level sensor is on the green connector at pin 18. My harness doesn't have this, I'm wondering whether this is (also) a purple wire...

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On my harness, the grey connector didn't plug into the fuse box, it looks as if something plugs into it, more of a 4 pin socket. Where it goes, I'm not too sure as I'm running a 1z lump and had nothing to go into it. As for the brake pad wear, that's from pin 7 on the green connector and again has it's own connector at the fusebox end of the harness. Again, I have no brakepad wear sender, so I've grounded that pin. Had it come from one of the fusebox plugs, I wouldn't have thought there would be a flat connector on the end

As for the oil code, There's a chance that your oil level sensor needs replacing. I believe that the one's located in the sump. Try doing an output test in VCDS http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/out_test.html

Have a look at this: http://www.vwbooks.co.uk/vw_info/T4_pdfs/T4_VDO_Specific_Wiring_Diagrams.pdf. There are no colour codes unfortunately, but the oil level sensor is on the green connector at pin 18. My harness doesn't have this, I'm wondering whether this is (also) a purple wire...
hi mate

i wa sunable to get onto the van today but i will check all that info out ad get back to you buddy

i think i am close to sorting this thanks to yu and this forum lol

cheers
Adie

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
hi

update

well not much of one but more info hopefully someone will be able to help me some more,

ok i have found the part number of the loom from the instrument cluster to the fuse box.

mine is: D0971051 e

i checked on a newer van (2003) and got 0971051 cb

i rang a vw garage how told me mine has been susperceded to 0971051 ae

ok,

on the newer van the purple wire did indeed got to a grey connector and was one of 4 i think

i have checked my van and i dont have the same grey plug

ok,

my question is:

the purple wire going from the green plug on the instrument panel going down to the fuse box area,

where does it plug in to ( loom part number 0971051 e or the susperceded part number 0971051 ae )

there you go

LawA if this helps then please chip in buddy, ta

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I've just realised something. Does your van have MFA instruments? If not, chances are you don't actually have an ambient temp sensor and if the purple wire is what I think it is; it doesn't have to be connected to anything.

Any chance you could take a photo of the loose wire?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've just realised something. Does your van have MFA instruments? If not, chances are you don't actually have an ambient temp sensor and if the purple wire is what I think it is; it doesn't have to be connected to anything.

Any chance you could take a photo of the loose wire?
i am not sure if its MFA

the purple wire has a small pin on the end, like what you would find in a plug

pic of wire

there you go buddy

some one has pm'd me saying he has the same loom as me and he is going to dig it out tomorrow and take pictures

that will help me a lot.

i of course will post my findings lol

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
update

just waiting fcor the guy with the loom to find the time to get a pic of the loom
Update

Bad news

Bought loom off a member and the part numbers arnt the same so I am none the wiser where the hell my purple wire is supposed to be

Frustrating is not the word lol

Anyone else have a go at helping

Just need to find someone mid restro who can take the time to check their instrument loom with the same part number as mine

Then let me no where the purple wire goes, it starts in the green plug at the clocks and the goes down toward the fuse box area

Phew, long shot I no

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi all

Just thought I would bump this up so others can read and hopefully help.

Not been on here or a while but hope to be getting back into thevt4 seen after changing job,house etcetc

Thanks in advance

Adie

1 - 20 of 27 Posts