VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a few vans of all shapes and sizes over the years and all of them have been too hot in the day and too cold at night. The answer is insulation of course but I have always liked vans with lots of windows and natural light pouring in. Hence I've just had two rear windows fitted to my Kombi van so I have windows all round.

The question is, is there really any point insulating the van when there is that much glass for heat to get through? I suppose I could get insulated panels made up for the windows but they will be cumbersome and take up a lot of room in storage (something I'm trying to avoid doing with this van). I'm gradually talking myself out of the idea.

Does anyone have any practical experience they can share? Is it worth the effort? Any easy, compact solutions for insulating the windows?

By the way, I'm not planning to use my van for any polar adventures or touring the Scottish Highlands in December. It's manily for short trips away throughout Spring, Summer and Autumn when temperatures don't go below 8-10 degrees. So I don't need to go too far with the insulation.

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
This year i was going to buy an insulated cab screen and a roll of the silver bubble wrap. Cut the bubble wrap to go over the side windows and secure with magnets on the outside. No idea if it's going to work and happy to hear other idea.s to keep my velle warm :)

I've heard the internal version creates condensation which i don't want.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
We use a genuine paragon silver screen over windscreen and cab windows and it's awesome.
We are in the process of insulating all the lower panels on the velle at the moment....
I'm planning on fitting baimex curtains to the van to all the rear windows and trimming down our kiravans silver screens to fit better so I can place them betwen the curtains and the window (the suckers on the kiravans screens SUCK ..... er I mean don't suck errrr they don't work) this should save the suckeres making a mess on the glass aswell.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Will do Keith.
I can tell you that we get no condensation in the cab with the silver screen as we have been using one for years.
I think that you will always get condensation when insulating th e windows internally.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,165 Posts
I'm gradually talking myself out of the idea.
I've done the same. I know it sounds a bit decadent and lazy, but if it's really cold out and I'm inside, I just turn the heating up! I've got a 1.5kW blown air heater under the passenger seat base and a Webasto under the driver's seat, and either of those are enough as long as it's not sub-zero out, so I've not bothered with any extra insulation.

I have a set of (JK imitation) Silver Screens, but TBH I've never needed to use them! For me, available storage space is more of a constraint than lack of insulation...

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Will do Keith.
I can tell you that we get no condensation in the cab with the silver screen as we have been using one for years.
I think that you will always get condensation when insulating th e windows internally.

Is that an external or internal one Jonny?

I was told internal screens cause the condensation.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I insulated our velle, I think it made a difference - obviously the biggest difference is the glass. We have internal screens and a front silver screens external. When we had the front internal screen, we did get a fair amount of condensation, but not with the silvers screens external - even the side windows have less condensation now.

Biggest pain is the rear window internal screen - when I get time I want to add some kind of support as it keeps coming off. If money wasn't a problem, I'd love to get a cali rear tailgate - double glazed with integral screen...

·
Registered
210 Posts
This year i was going to buy an insulated cab screen and a roll of the silver bubble wrap. Cut the bubble wrap to go over the side windows and secure with magnets on the outside. No idea if it's going to work and happy to hear other idea.s to keep my velle warm :)

I've heard the internal version creates condensation which i don't want.
How about this instead?
http://leisurelines.net/internal-cab-thermal-screen-material-9-layer--lin-mtr-971-p.asp

It can be cut to size, not sure about how weather proof it is for the outside mind.

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funnily enough I was in Wickes at the weekend and spotted that stuff. Still can't decide whether it's worth the effort though. I'm thinking of not bothering with insulating the whole van and just spending the effort on the windows and blocking the source of the drafts. They are the things that seem to make the most difference in my experience. Can anyone talk me out of it?! Chances are I will regret whatever option I chose!

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I used silent coat (i think its called) plus the similar stuff from B n Q in all the panels on our window van and it had a big effect on sound deadening in particular and I think it cuts down the cold, didnt bother filling the panels with insulation.

·
Registered
345 Posts
We've insulated ours using the usual foil bubble wrap ,recycled plastic bottles and we use internal cab screens, you do get a fair amount of condensation but tbh if you're sleeping in the van I think you'll get condensation whatever you do unless you ventilate well. Also as we only camp in the summer it's almost always too hot so I don't think I'd bother insulating again, I'd spend the money on soundproofing instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts