VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend a good adhesive for sticking sheeps wool insulation in to the sides and roof of the van?

Cheers!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did a layer of thermal wrap, stuff with sheeps wool then another layer of thermal wrap to keep it in. I used foil tape to keep the thermal wrap in place. You can get a roll of thermal wrap and tape for less than 20 quid in B&Q.

I thought sheeps woll is fine, it's rockwool that is a nightmare for condensation?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
no insulation is a nightmare for condensation in a van its all rubbish chat.
it makes no diff what you have for condensation you will always get condensation in a van as its metal rock wool cavity wall slabs do not hold water like a sponge as they are treated with a waterproofing and is not fibreglass, tho caravan have used fibreglass for years without any problem its leaking windows that made caravan rot, dont believe all the hype and lose sleep over it, to be honest its not worth the hassle as all your heat is lost through the windows and roof anyway
as far as adhesive go i would of thought that carpet glue would of done the job and sheeps wool is breathable anyway
people get carried away on here with vapour barriers etc

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought (hope!) Sheeps wool was okay - Amdro do a kit of the stuff that looks okay, or I am informed that B&Q do some at about £15.00 a roll - just not sure what the best adhesive would be as wool, be it mineral or sheep does have a tendancy to 'slump' which would leave potential airgaps at the top so I just want to make sure it's bonded.

May not be 'the best' thermally, but we felt it was a bit more 'eco' than the alternatives :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys, Toolstation do Evostick carpet adhesive that I've used on carpet tiles before and that seems good so might go for that.

·
Registered
552 Posts
it makes no diff what you have for condensation you will always get condensation in a van as its metal rock wool cavity wall slabs do not hold water like a sponge as they are treated with a waterproofing
rockwool batts only have a waterproofing agent on one face.

personally , speaking from experience it does actually wick up moisture.

its ok to use but i would put it in sealed bin bags first.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
rockwool batts only have a waterproofing agent on one face.

personally , speaking from experience it does actually wick up moisture.

its ok to use but i would put it in sealed bin bags first.
i agree but how much water do people think will be in their van

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
it makes no diff what you have for condensation you will always get condensation in a van as its metal rock wool cavity wall slabs do not hold water like a sponge as they are treated with a waterproofing and is not fibreglass, tho caravan have used fibreglass for years without any problem its leaking windows that made caravan rot, dont believe all the hype and lose sleep over it, to be honest its not worth the hassle as all your heat is lost through the windows and roof anyway
as far as adhesive go i would of thought that carpet glue would of done the job and sheeps wool is breathable anyway
people get carried away on here with vapour barriers etc
Totally agree with you, I have repaired a fair few caravans. It's water ingress from the awning rails, window seals etc that cause them to get damp and rot. Never seen rockwool or anything get soaked through condensation. I would say a caravan is more susceptible to damage as they are held together with flimsy wooden battons which can rot easily but they don't from condensation. Also most caravans have a full gas cooker/oven which produces a lot of condensation, not to mention shower/wash rooms etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts