VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m about to glue insulation to my walls and ceiling and I noticed that there are some sort of thin insulation/soundproofing pads already stuck to the walls (see pic).

From what I’ve read, it’s preferable that the insulation (in my case cork panels) should be snug up against the surface. This wouldn’t be the case if I glue my insulation panels on top of the current walls because the stuff on there is smaller that the insulation panels I’m going to put on.

Would you recommend removing the stuff that’s in the wall now before I glue my cork panels on? Or just glue it on top of the stuff there now?

·
Registered
634 Posts
They are what the factory fit to provide some sound deadening to the panels, strategically placed to absorb the worst. They can be removed but you will need something to clean the surface afterwards as there is quite a bit of residue left behind

·
Registered
853 Posts
Maybe if you stick the cork around the insulation then cut a cork panel to fit on the said insulation, easier and much cleaner.
Rob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out of interest what leads you down the cork panel route?
I came across a Dutch couple that used cork and I was interested because it’s less toxic than many other materials, has a good R-value and is resistant to water.

This supplier sells it at a decent price and the delivery took and impressive five days to reach me in Sweden from Poland Expanded insulation cork boards

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe if you stick the cork around the insulation then cut a cork panel to fit on the said insulation, easier and much cleaner.
Rob
Thanks Rob.
I think I will just make my panels smaller and do this. This way, I can keep the soundproofing on there and still have my new insulation sit snug up against the wall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts