VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can help me. I bought my T4 high top already converted to a camper, but the cupboards above the cab hadn't been insulated. I'm just finishing the job now and all has gone well. But on one side there are some wires for the 12v lights, does it matter if the insulation is around these or should I keep clear of them? I'm using the silver bubble foam type. I doubt it matters but I just wanted to check. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me 馃槉

Registered
I can't think of any reason why covering them should present any problem. If they are for 12volt lights they are carrying very current plus there is a good chance they are covered somewhere else in your van along with other wiring. Good luck with your insulation.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't think of any reason why covering them should present any problem. If they are for 12volt lights they are carrying very current plus there is a good chance they are covered somewhere else in your van along with other wiring. Good luck with your insulation.
Thanks so much for your reply. I was worried if I got the insulation around them and then carpeted the area I would have to pull it all up again. I'll go and finish the job. Thank you once again 馃槉

Registered
I'm hoping someone can help me. I bought my T4 high top already converted to a camper, but the cupboards above the cab hadn't been insulated. I'm just finishing the job now and all has gone well. But on one side there are some wires for the 12v lights, does it matter if the insulation is around these or should I keep clear of them? I'm using the silver bubble foam type. I doubt it matters but I just wanted to check. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me 馃槉
Hey, bieng a electrician of many years,i am sure it will be absolutely fine,the fuses protect the wire from fire.

Registered
Some wires in your van will inevitably be 'buried' behind stuff once youve finished but its good practice to keep things accessible if poss just incase you want to add something or fault find etc at a later date .
I've recently had a relay go down that someone thought it had been a good idea to hide behing the roof lining 馃う鈥嶁檪锔 ..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some wires in your van will inevitably be 'buried' behind stuff once youve finished but its good practice to keep things accessible if poss just incase you want to add something or fault find etc at a later date .
I've recently had a relay go down that someone thought it had been a good idea to hide behing the roof lining 馃う鈥嶁檪锔 ..
Oh heck that's not great, hope you managed to sort it. The consensus on here and also from talking to a friend was that it was OK to have the insulation touch the wiring. They are already in their factory 'covering' and not bare wires. I thought it might be a stupid question but I thought I'd be happier asking. Thank you for your advice though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts