VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just flashbanded the panels behind the boards and as I am not planning on using the van to sleep in I was wondering if insulating it would make much more of a difference to soundproofing?
Im going to line the inside of the boards so was after comments of whether to insulate at the same time?

·
Registered
515 Posts
by my understanding if you are looking more for sound proofing rather than heat retention then you may want to look at a more dedicated, denser, heavier soundproofing material rather than Cellotex etc.
However, from experience my feelings are that if you are going to be spending any time in the van, rather than just keeping tools in it then insulating is a very good idea.
There is a counter argument which posits that one should just let the van breathe but it seems your are looking to insulate in some form.
Gluing foil-bubble insulating material directly to the exposed metal surfaces then sealing the edges with foil tape will minimise the "dew points" in your van (where warm air meets a cold surface and subsequently condenses into water droplets) Its important to stick it flat to the metal surface and seal the edges, as you don't want water collecting in pockets. At this stage I then left a cavity and foil-taped Cellotex into the front most areas of the voids. It seems that at this stage you may be more inclined to apply a dense sound deadening material, compromising a little on thermal effectiveness but achieving the results you need.

B.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a contact that works in rockwool and have been given large sheets of the foil material that when heated self adhesive to most surfaces so I think I will use this on the inside of the panels are it will be very easy to apply and get a good seal like you say is needed. I'll then decide whether or not to fill the empty space with material as I'm quite sceptical about not having any breathing space behind panels.
Thanks for the advice:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
i just flashbanded my van. what a difference it makes!

Next was to be insulation but was not sure the process. I've been on various threads but am still confused over the correct process.

Sheep wool insulation and bubble foil seemed to be winning favour but am now confused over whether to fill every nook with wool or just place it over the panels and put bubble foil over it, taped with silver tape.

Not sleeping in van but best keep the kids warm I guess :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts